Primary rhino? Or revision?

I had a septoplasty in 2011 and am scheduled for a septo/rhinoplasty at the end of the month. My original septoplasty was performed by an ENT and covered by my health care. While my breathing was 80% I've noticed some of the problems I had previously experienced have returned. My septo/rhino is being performed by a facial plastic surgeon specialist. My question is would this be considered a primary rhinoplasty as I previously did not have any cosmetic work done to my nose with the septo in 2011?

Nose

gingerviking, I would have to look at your other surgeon's operative note to give you an accurate answer. Good luck with your surgery!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Primary?

If your septum was worked on, I suppose technically this is a secondary, but it does not really  matter.  Best of luck with your results.

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty: Primary vs secondary

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

Septoplasty is a procedure to straighten the middle wall between your nostrils. It may be a part of rhinoplasty or a separate procedure. 

If you've had a septoplasty and you plan to have a septorhinoplasty, then it will be a Secondary (revision) septoplasty and Primary (first) rhinoplasty. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Primary rhinoplasty, Secondary septoplasty

From what you're describing, you're having a primary rhinoplasty, and a secondary septoplasty. It's important to know how much cartilage is left on the inside of the nose from the primary septoplasty, in case you need any cartilage crafting procedures performed on the primary rhinoplasty. Ear cartilage may be required if there is a cartilage depleted nose and cartilage grafts are required. For more information about the differences between rhinoplasty and a septoplasty, please see the video below