Nutrition supplement before and after surgery?

So I've been using an amazing Premium Nutrition supplement that I started late in the game after my surgery it was about 6 months afterwords .. it Did ALOT for my healing and inflammation and swelling. I'm preparing for another round a tummy tuck and lipo and wondering if this is ok to keep continuing up to my surgery and afterwards. Thanks We have a lot of health care professionals using it that is really loving it as well

Nutrition is critical

Key factors in the healing of any wound are nutrition and vitamin supplements.  There are specially formulated vitamins that are designed to optimize your healing that we use from Vitamedica.  In addition, we use Arnica and Bromelian to reduce the swelling and bruising.  Before and after surgery, nutrition is a key component that is overlooked by almost every patient and surgeon.  After the operation, your calorie and protein requirements are increased.  We design a nutritional regimen for each patient which is provided to them during the preoperative teaching.  In order to meet the calorie and protein requirements after surgery, the patients typically supplement using protein shakes.  Calorie and protein intake are recorded on a log that we provide and review at the postoperative visits.  The combination of homeopathic medicines, vitamins supplementation, and adequate calorie and protein intake are critical to the wound healing process.  Prior to surgery, we ask the patients to stop all of their own supplements as some can cause problems with bleeding during and after surgery.

I would be careful using that preop as many supplements thin the blood and might cause a postop complication. Omega fish oil in particular can take months to leave your system. Check with your doctor before using ANY meds preop and good luck.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon