Is it normal not to feel any pain? Do my breast look a little strange or should they look rounder? (Photo)

My implant are 492 moderate profile. I am day 5 post op. I was a 36B before. I have only take a few advils and have been wearing an underwire bra as instructed by my PS. The only bad thing is the excessive bruising and that they look a little ugly. Any insight?

Is it normal not to feel any pain? Do my breast look a little strange or should they look rounder?

Your breasts had some degree of ptosis (sagging) before surgery, and your surgeon made an assessment (that I would likely have made also) that implants alone would give you an acceptable or better outcome once they drop into their final position. Hint: gravity always works!

BTW, 492cc implants are moderate plus profile, not moderate.

I would not have recommended Advil because of the inhibition of platelet function and increased risk of bruising, bleeding, re-operation, or eventual capsular contracture, but you may be just fine. I just don't like increasing the odds for a problem, however small or "acceptable."

Underwire bras are OK if you had axillary incisions, but I wouldn't have recommended that either right after surgery, especially when you WANT your implants to drop, and you don't want your incisions irritated (crease incisions).

That being said, you look appropriately high and "Snoopy-dogg-ish" at this early point in your recovery. Your implants are high and need to drop into and behind your breasts. Time and gravity accomplish this in every patient (who does not develop capsular contracture). CC patients develop hard round breasts that can sometimes also be painful.

I would have recommended an elastic bandeau at night, and braless during the day (a camisole with a built-in stretch bra or layers of clothing are OK), and would ask you to avoid Advil for 3 weeks. But ask your surgeon why s/he recommends the things s/he does, as it is her/him you will have to go to if there are any concerns. "Strange" is pretty normal for your anatomy and this point in your recovery. It will take a few weeks to look better, and if you have no complications, you should look great in a couple of months. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Lucky you

Lucky you that you aren't in pain. Fantastic. In terms of judging your results, it is simply too early to tell. It will take anywhere from 3-6 for your breasts to heal and drop/settle so just be patient and kind to yourself as your body continues to recover. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast shape after augmentation

Thanks for your question and photos.
Everyone heals differently; but for the most part, patients do very well (in terms of pain) after breast augmentation.
Peri-operatively, implants tend to sit high; and breasts may look funny or awkward.
As implants settle in their pockets for the next 3-6 months, the shape of the breasts will improve.
Continue following your plastic surgeon's post-op instruction and visit your PS as scheduled.
Best regards.

Breast lift?

It looks like you needed a lift possibly.  Best to give it time to settle. You might eventually need the lift.  Best of  luck.

Breasts look normal?

At five days you certainly can have some bruising in your photographs I don't see a lot. The implants do look a little high and we sometimes see that early in the postoperative phase. Follow up with your chosen plastic surgeon and weighed at least three months in my opinion before deciding on whether the implants are in the correct location. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

New implants

Thank you for your question.  It is normal to not have much discomfort.  Many of my patients do well with Motrin, but everyone has a different pain tolerance.  I don't see too much bruising in the photo, but some bruising isn't uncommon.  

It it is very early and difficult to tell a lot about the breast shape as that generally improves as the implants settle.  If you had that same appearance months after surgery I would think a lift to reposition the skin and breast tissue onto the implant would help. However an in person evaluation by your surgeon would be best.

At this point I would follow closely with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, but it looks like a good early result.

Christopher A. Marek, MD
Lexington Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.

Bruising can happen after surgery.  From your photos, I do not see the excessive bruising.  Please follow up with your plastic surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast  surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Early post op

You look pretty normal for 5 days after surgery. Many patients have little to no pain after surgery, I know most of my patients are off of narcotics by that time based on the technique of the surgery. The implants always look a bit too high in the beginning but will settle with time. Follow your post op orders and you should have a great result 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon