Muscle spasms and skin hanging after abdominoplasty. (photos)

After 130lb weight loss I had abdominoplasty with muscle repair 07/19/2016 (11 weeks ago). I still have a lot of swelling (which I expect) but there is quite a bit of skin laxity when bent over/sitting and I don't have much "shape". I also have dog ears and my belly button closed. Will my stomach firm up or will I require revision? I was told if required there would be Lipo and vertical scar but it wasn't done and I think it should have? am I expecting too much ?

Sagging abdomen after TT

It is important to rule out that you do not have any fluid (seroma) in the lower abdomen. Skin laxity may or may not improve in the next 3 months. It appears that you would benefit from additional horizontal as well as vertical skin removal. However, give yourself at least 6 months before you start talking about eventual revision TT with your surgeon. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Swelling

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

Revision surgery is unusual but may be desired for several reasons. Most revisions should be done after 9-12 months.  One cause for revision surgery are “dog ears” at the ends of the incisions. These are small folds of excess skin that do not flatten over time.  They can be excised, suctioned or both.

Scars may widen or continue to be red and elevated. These may require laser treatment or injection with kenalog and 5-FU.  Excision and reclosure may help some scars. Other treatments are available as well. Excess fat or loose skin may require liposuction and skin excision to obtain the best result.

If you find that you remain concerned about swelling or scars it would be good to visit your surgeon to have the area evaluated and make sure that healing is progressing well. Make sure that you wait for the full time period before determining the potential need of a revision. Good luck.

Muscle spasms and skin hanging after abdominoplasty.

From your photos it is my opinion- that your result is completely and totally inadequate. You are left with a situation that needs significant and aggressive surgical attention in order to achieve your maximum result. Sorry for the bad news- that's my opinion.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your amazing weight loss.  Normally patients who lose 100+ pounds will have excess skin in both a vertical and horizontal dimension across their stomach and are best treated with a fleur de lys tummy tuck (a horizontal and vertical incision).  It appears that you would benefit from a revision procedure to tighten your stomach tissues in both directions but you have to understand the incision position ramifications.  Hope this helps