Will textured implants under the muscle help fix mild tuberous deformity?

I had my first consultation and was recommended Mentor High Profile Textured Round Implants under the muscle and chose the 375 cc size. I'm 5'7 and 155lbs. I'm question the use of textured implants under the muscle and the recommendation of HP over Moderate +. It was noted that I have a wide (3 fingers) gap between my breasts. My goal was to address the lower pole and to be able to have cleavage in a bra. I know it is hard to advise without personal photos, any advice would be appreciated!

Will textured implants...............

Highly cohesive implants will improve tuberous breasts over time.
Cleavage is another matter and can only be determined by looking at your measurements.Sometimes one has to go very large to achieve cleavage.

Perth Plastic Surgeon

Implants with tuberous breast breasts

There are many presentations of tuberous breasts. I would have to see a number of photographs to come to some general determination. I do not think there would be a difference between textured and not textured implants in this situation. My preference would be to place the implants in a sub muscular position with a second dissection layer in the sub mammary position and then radial cuts within the breast tissue to allow for expansion of the lower pole. A circumareolar mastopexy may be required or can be done as a secondary procedure in about six months after you have a better idea of the final form of the breast. A high profile versus moderate profile would largely be determined by the volume you want to achieve as well as the width of your breasts.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Plan

Different surgeons will have different approaches to this problem. You should feel comfortable with the surgeons plan and their before and after gallery.

Smooth round implants

Textured implants do not offer any advantage over smooth implants in the treatment of tuberous breast deformity.  In fact, I find no use for textured implants in this situation.  I would HP smooth round under the muscle.

Augmentation of tuberous breasts

Dear Gingerviking,
  It is importants that you consult with different experienced board certified plastic surgeons. However it is critical that you do your due diligence and examine their photo gallery , checking their before and after pictures. Pay special attention to pictures of tuberous breasts surgery or breasts augmentation with mini lift. All tuberous breasts need, at least, mini lift surgery in order to obtain natural looking and attractive breasts. The breasts should end up with nice cleavage, perky and small areolas and appear symmetrical. In my plastic surgery practice of 28 years and thousands of breasts augmentation patients I do the followings : 1. Smooth, round, moderate profile saline implants ( for many reasons which are too many to bring up in this discussion . I'll be glad to detail them if you contact me ). 2. Place all implants under the muscles for better coverage . 3. Instruct my patients to perform implants displacement massage which are very important for getting soft, natural looking and symmetrical breasts. As far as size recommendation, I will need to have your chest and breasts circumference neasurements as wel as your breasts size goal.
                                       Dr Widder

Implant for tuberous breast

I prefer round implants under the muscle in most cases. A tuberous breast may need the lower pole treated with radial cuts and the areola may need to be reduced. Best to see in person.

As you mentioned, it is not possible to provide you with precise advice without direct examination or viewing pictures.  Generally speaking, some patients ( depending on the severity of the breast constriction and exactly what they are trying to achieve with the appearance of their breasts)  are able to achieve a very nice shape after breast augmentation only ( and without the need for breast lifting). For example, some patients with  relatively "mild” tuberous breasts  are quite pleased with the results of breast augmentation surgery only, even though some residual wide and/or “puffy” areola persists after the breast augmentation procedure. Others, with the same anatomy will not be pleased with the residual wide/“puffy” areola  and would prefer to have an incision around the areola to correct this concern at same time as breast augmentation surgery is performed.

Communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon and together you will come up with the least invasive way to achieve your goals. You may find the attached link, dedicated to constricted/tuberous breast surgery, helpful as you learn more.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with.

Implants and tuberous deformity

Generally speaking, there should be no difference in a  smooth or textured device in the treatment of tuberous breasts.   The diameter of the implant is chosen to match the breast width.  If you go too wide, you could cause malposition of the implant or the nipple on the chest.  To get more cleavage, I would use a larger implant without abnormally increasing the base width.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

It's not that simple.

Without a proper examination, it is impossible to render an opinion about which implant is best for you, and you might have a great result with several different implant options. Alternatively, regardless of the implant selected, if you have a true tuberous breast deformity, you might need this corrected specifically in addition to undergoing the augmentation. My best advice is to you is to be confident that the surgeon with whom you had your consultation is skilled in all aspects of breast enhancement surgery, and that his or her sense of aesthetics aligns with your own. If you are not sure, seek out a second or even a third consultation until you feel confident about you surgeon and the treatment plan. Today's implant choices are more than ever, and it is sometimes hard to navigate through all of the options and make sense of it all. Your surgeon, if experienced, should be able to help you sort through all of this. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage and breast augmenation

Dear gingerviking

In my experience, when the distance between your breasts is wider than you would like, and the surgeon releases the attachments on order to  bring the breasts and implants closer, two problems often arise. First the nipples can point sideways as the implant in not centered under the breast and second, risk of synmastia can increase dramatically. Both are difficult issues to resolve but easy to prevent.
It is difficult to give you specific information without an examination or photos. If you want a natural look with longevity, find a surgeon who will place the right size implant in the right position and enhance that result in terms of cleavage with the proper fitting bra.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon