Is liposuction safe?
Doctor Answers 8
Vaser 4D HI DEFINITION and Liposuction: Safety
Liposuction is safe when performed by a board-certified dermatologist with training and expertise in body contouring. However, it is a surgical procedure and therefore does have some risks, particularly when general anesthesia is needed. Liposuction can permanently remove stubborn fat and contour your body. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer
Liposuction Maintenance and Safety
Thank you very much for your question. When performed by a board certified plastic surgeon, liposuction is a safe and effective procedure. The technique can eliminate stubborn, isolated fatty deposits, and restore physical contours. The results from liposuction are permanent, as the fat cells that are removed do not return. However, surrounding fat cells can still grow, should you put on weight. To maintain your results, a healthy lifestyle and regular exercise routine must be followed. Schedule a liposuction consultation with an experienced cosmetic surgeon to discuss your personal situation.
Liposuction - is it safe?
- Yes, liposuction done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is a very safe procedure -
- It has been done in the USA for almost fifty years with an excellent safety profile - in the right hands.
- Liposuction done by non-plastic surgeons tend to have poorer results and those done by doctors who aren't trained surgeons - or large volume liposuction done in non-accredited facilities - are much more risky.
- There are risks, as there are for all surgery
- The long term consequences depend on your result -
- If you are not pleased with your result, you may need additional liposuction or other treatments.
- If you are considering liposuction - consult a plastic surgeon near you whose practice is limited to cosmetic surgery.
You might also like...
Safe Liposuction is function of technique, technician, patient and setting
Is Liposuction Safe?
In an appropriately screened patient, performed by a qualified and experienced doctor, and performed in an accredited setting, liposuction is a safe procedure and should yield beautiful results without long-term consequences. If any of those characteristics are not present, beware. I hope that's helpful.
Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Liposuction and its safety profile
Take note that liposuction can now be performed under local anesthesia (as opposed to general anesthesia) with the introduction of tumescent technique, which is currently the gold standard. However, a surgery purely under local anesthesia may not be ideal if it involves a large surface area or large volume of fat.
I hope that helps and good luck.
as long as you are in good health, liposuction can and IS a very safe procedure. It is typically performed in an operating room under General anesthesia(which is actually the biggest risk, but is very safe), be sure you are having your procedure performed by a properly trained plastic surgeon as their are many Doctors not formerly or properly trained whom also perform the procedure, then it may not be so safe.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.