Does having a lift with implants placed sub-glandular cause sagging faster than a lift with implants placed sub-muscular?

I'm borderline needing a lift, but I am opting to have one. My debate is having the implant placed over or under the muscle. One issue thinking long term, that I can't find information on, is which position will cause the breast to sag again faster and which will hold up best long term.

Subglandular vs submuscular

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question regarding sagging following breast augmentation.  Breast implants placed in the submuscular position tend to sag less over time, in general.  That being said, if textured implants are used in the subglandular position rather than smooth implants, the subglandular augmentation can provide nice lasting results.  In addition, regardless of the position, the implants will sag or settle more over time the larger/heavier implants are used.  I recommend consulting with one or more board certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss this further and learn your options.  Best wishes!

Lift with or without implants

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift with augmentation such as silicone implants, you will get very nice results, contact a board certified plastic surgeon, I recommend you soft cohesive silicone implants about 350 cc's you will look pretty and they will be perky.

Patients who goes to a consultation for drooping breasts (ptosis) or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) almost always have one very important question. "Can my drooping be corrected with just implants or do I need a lift".

Implants alone will correct drooping when:
  1. Breast drooping is mild
  2. The nipple is still near the center breast and does not point downward
  3. There is some visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is okay with being at least a cup size larger
A breast lift (with or without an implant) is better when:
  1. Breast drooping is moderate or severe
  2. The nipple is at the bottom of the breast or points downward
  3. There is no visible skin under the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is already a C or D cup breast size and doesn't want to be larger
  5. The areola is too large and the patient wants it reduced
I also show the patient photographs of a spectrum of breast scar present after a breast lift in order to check their tolerance for this scar. Most patients are surprised how little the scar shows and are okay with proceeding. If the patient really needs a breast lift, but is concerned about the scars, I will suggest they wait on surgery. In time the breast appearance problems will usually outweigh their concern about the scars.

I use implants in combination with a lift when:
  1. The patient wants to be larger in addition to being less droopy
  2. The patient desires to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound
  3. The drooping is severe..... I recommend to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a personal evaluation and also to talk about your goals. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Does having a lift with implants placed sub-glandular cause sagging faster than a lift with implants placed sub-muscular

If you use a textured implant and the implant gets good tissue ion-growth, the implant will sag much less than a smooth walled implant would, especially over the long run

Julio Garcia, MD