My implants are wide when laying down. Can this be fix? (photos)

Implants are wide when laying down, they are flat towards the middle of my chest.cabt this problem be fixes and why is this happening? I'm 4 months post op.

Lateral Drift

I agree with the other surgeons assessments. I would also recommend watching physical activities that engage your pectoralis muscle. You may need to alter some of your work outs to prevent further lateral displacement. Wearing a good support bra during the day may also prevent further lateral migration or displacement of the implants.

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Implant position

It is not uncommon for the implants to shift position with the patient lying on their back.  It is not necessarily something that should be fixed.

My implants are wide when laying down. Can this be fix?

Typical lateral pocket displacement effect. The only way is capsularraphy lateral pockets but no guarantee of success.. 

Natural Breast Response

Thank you for your pictures.  Your breast results look fine and are behaving naturally.  I would not recommend any surgical procedure for you.

Breasts fall to the side

Breast tissue naturally falls to the side when laying down. If you have excessive displacement laterally the internal pocket can be tightened along the sides. This procedure is called an internal capsulorrhaphy. If the problem is relatively minor and you look good upright and in your clothing may not be worth undergoing a second operation.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for Implant Displacement

It really isn't unusual for implants to fall off to the side when you are lying down.  Gravity and the shape of the rib cage are such that there is a natural tendency for this to occur.  The degree of displacement probably also depends on the strength of the tissues that support the implants on the sides of the breast.  As long as they return to an acceptable position when you are upright then I don't feel any treatment is typically necessary.  If the implants stay wide or if the appearance when reclining if very bothersome to you then tightening of the capsule can be helpful.  I believe this is best done with sutures that are reinforced with acellular dermal matrix (a material harvested from cadavers, pig skin or silk worms) to reduce the risk of recurrence.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Implant Lateral Displacement

Thanks for your inquiry and excellent pictures.  Please discuss with your surgeon about trying to tighten your breast capsule.  

I am sorry to hear about your concerns. Yes, the lateral breast implant displacement can be corrected using an internal suture technique, decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implants toward the midline.   In my practice, this repair is done with a 2 layered suture technique (capsulorraphy). The use of acellular dermal matrix is an option ( although not usually necessary)  especially if significant implant rippling/palpability is also present.

I hope this (and the attached link) helps.

Can this be fixed?

Yes, this can be fixed.  It is called an Internal Lateral Capsulorrhaphy. This is a fancy term for tightening the lateral part of the breast pocket. This way when you lie on your back, your implants do not fall into your armpits. You might want to talk to your plastic surgeon about the procedure. 

All the best to you.

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Wide implants

A normal breast does tend to fall to the side when laying down. However, your lateral pocket could be tightened to minimize movement to the side.  This, however, will limit the movement of your breasts. You look fairly normal in your photos, and might consider leaving things alone for now.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon