Do I need an implant to get good results since I have tuberous breasts?

I have 32 DDD breasts and they are tuberous. I have normal profile but little underboob. I have seen a lot of patients with turberous breasts but they all had small breasts to begin with. Does it make a difference that mine are larger when choosing if I need an implant or not? Most patients I have read about get an implant. Why is that?

Tuberous breats

Thank you for your question. A breast lift/reduction with an implant can typically help to improve the appearance of large tubular breasts. I would recommend that you seek consultation with a board plastic surgery to review your options. Best of luck.

GreetingsThank you for your question, Breast Implants plus lifting can give best results for tuberous breasts. This also need one on one consultation with your plastic surgeon. 

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tuberous breast

The best procedure for tuberous breast(my opinion), is a mastopexy. It allows us to make the nipple-areolar complex small in diameter, and gives a round shape to the breast. If you are already a DDD, then an implant will make you larger, and you may not want that.Good luck,
Greg Sexton,Columbia, S.C.

It would be very rare indeed to have such large breasts and be tuberous. You would have to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Tuberous Breast Correction

Often Tuberous breast correction involves a breast lift component with an implant. They work well together to correct constriction, areolas and then to fill out the new breast shape. They best way to determine what your options are is to meet with a Plastic Surgeon in person. They will examine you and discuss your goals then present options to you.
All the best

Implants with larger tuberous breasts

Without a photo is difficult to offer an opinion.  With large tuberous breasts, if indeed they are "really" tuberous may benefit from an implant along with release of the tuberous deformity to give the breasts a more round rather than cone shape appearance.  If your breasts are indeed large and tuberous, they may be droopy, or ptotic, and need a lift as well.  You should consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns, goals and options.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts and implants

You have not posted any photos, so it's impossible to give any real advice or opinion.  Having said that, in my experience some tuberous breasts can be addressed without implants.    Be sure to discuss these with your surgeon at the time of your consultation, since my advice can't be considered a treatment recommendation without a consultation visit.

Thank you for the good question. As you mentioned, patients with tuberous/constricted breasts have "little underboob":  relatively tight/"constricted" lower breast poles.  Patients with tuberous/constricted breasts often benefit from the use of breast implants. Of course, the use of breast implants is not "mandatory" but does help to "round out" the relatively flat/tight lower breast poles after surgical release (radial incisions) of the lower breast pole tissues.   Because the breast implants take time to "settle" into the relatively tight tissues of the lower breast poles, it may take several months (six months or even longer) before the final outcome of the procedure is achieved. In other words, patients undergoing this type of surgery should be aware of the need for patience and time before the lower breast poles "round out".  Also, generally speaking, as the breast implants "settle" into their positions, the nipple/areola complexes seem higher on each breast mound ("perkier").

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.

unfortunately, you do need implants to help correct the problem. While an exam is necessary to give you a more complete answer, the short answer is yes.  There are different components to tuberous breast "deformity". The constricted nipples and elevated fold require different maneuveres to improve the appearance. Usually, there is a necessity for implants to improve the shape of tuberous breasts.

George Dreszer, MD, MS
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon