I made a mistake of getting a chin implant 2 years ago and I want it removed but I am terrified of having a complication?

My current doctor tells me I have nothing to worry about but doesn't explain his method of removal. He just says that it's easy to pop right out and take 10 minutes. I would like to know if any of you doctors have any reccommentaions of chin speciliasts who have a comphrensive plan on removal chin implants, ie scraping a piece of the pocket to ensure it adheres together, chin tuckup etc. I am extremely scared about having a bad result. I don't think I could be mentally prepared for that. Help :(

Chin Implant Removal

While it is true that the actual removal of a chin implant is very straightforward, the question is whether any adjunctive procedures may be needed to prevent chin pad ptosis. (e.g., capsulectomy, mentalis resuspension etc.) This would depend on many factors including the size of the chin implant, how long it has been in place and the incisional approach to place it all help to make that determination. While many chin implants can be removed without doing anything else, that does not mean that all chin implants can.

Removal of chin implant

Removal of chin implant is usually very simple procedure done in local anesthesia. Due to good retraction of soft tissue of the chin and volume of chin tissue  there is no residual deformity. In the case that you are not satisfied with chin projection this can be corrected with soft tissue fillers or fat grafts. Relax. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant removal

Removing a chin implant is much easier than putting one in, and it usually takes 10 to 15 minutes. The anatomy on your chin area will revert back to its pre-implant state. The chin implant can be removed under local anesthesia.

Chin implant removal

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your implant.  

Your doctor is correct, taking it out is much easier and less likely to have a complication than putting it in.  I am not sure that there is evidence that scraping the pocket helps it to heal.  If it is removed through an incision in the mouth, the most important part of the removal is good closure of all layers with reattachment of mentalis muscle so the soft tissue of your chin doesn't droop in years to come.  Also, I would recommend wearing a compression garment (jaw bra) for a few days immediately afterwards.  

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

ProbelmChild, the answer depends on your exam, your surgical history (ie what type of implant was used) and other less important things. See an experienced facial specialist; one that has done "only faces" for decades. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon