Is there hope for this bulbous, crooked nose? (Photo)

To me my nose looks deformed. It has suffered a lot of trauma over the years. I have seen 2 different surgeons. One was willing to do surgery and one recommended not to. He said my nose was too short and I'd end up with a pig nose. I'd really like to soften it up

Rhinoplasty for the bulbous and crooked nose

A full set of  facial photographs are required to make a determination about being a candidate for a bulbous nasal tip reduction and straightening  the nose.  The bulbous tip is reduced with suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal applied to the nasal tip cartilages.  Thick skin, especially in the tip of the nose will prevent significant refinement in that area.  For more information and many before and after results of bulbous tip repair, and straightening the crooked nose, please see the link and the video below. 

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

You would need to be seen in person to determine what could be done for you.   Good luck with your decision to move forward.

Although the photo is not optimal it appears that you could benefit from rhinoplasty. Consult a qualified rhinoplasty surgeon for a proper diagnosis and assessment.  

Sean Maguire, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty options

Hello! It is difficult to fully evaluate on the basis of this one photo but it does not appear that there is any reason not to proceed. If you find a surgeon who tells you your bones are too short I would be concerned that surgeon does not have experience with rhinoplasty. Find an experienced surgeon who specializes in the face, performs a couple rhinoplasty procedures each week and has a thorough before/after photo book.Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Given the orientation and shape of your tip cartilage, and the thickness of your skin, your tip does present a challenging case.  An open approach with structural grafting will give your nose the best change of achieving a beautiful result.  Consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist will give you a better sense of the surgical options available.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

There is hope!

An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will always be able to create a more aesthetically-pleasing shape to your nose, but there are limits to the change that can occur.  I recommend meeting with several Board-Certified plastic surgeons who will accurately examine your nose; those who tell you not to operate due to a poor result do not have the appropriate experience with nasal reconstruction and harvesting rib cartilage as necessary.