Will I need someone at home with me for the first few days after TT?

I am getting a TT and flank Lipo done in a month and wondering if I will require someone to be home with me at all for the first few days after surgery

Assistance required

It’s always a good idea that you have someone to help you in the first day or two after your surgery. Even things like going to the bathroom may require some assistance. It’s also safer for you, just in case! After the first couple of days, you won’t need anyone with you at all times, but you might want someone to assist you occasionally throughout the day. It’s a good idea to ask your surgeon what they recommend as well.

Post Tummy Tuck

Since you will not be able to do any heavy activity and may have some difficulty doing everyday activity, it is usually a good idea to have some help for the first few days, at least.

John A. Perrotti, MD

Assistance at home after a tummy tuck

Thank you for the question. It would be a good idea to have someone at home during the first week after your surgery to assist you with daily chores and, if necessary, drive you around. Remember that you should also avoid heavy lifting or strenuous activities for at least 6 weeks after a tummy tuck. So if your home chores require strenuous activity, make sure you can rely on someone to help you for at least a month.  An in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Home care after a tummy tuck?

Having assistance at home for the first 24-48 hours after surgery is the sensible and smart thing to do.  You cannot predict how you will feel initially after the anesthetic and surgery and may need help with dressing changes, medications and activities of daily living.  Remember that your safe recovery is important for a great result.  Discuss with your plastic surgeon.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after tummy tuck and liposuction surgery

We insist that all of our full tummy tuck patients spend one night (or optionally more) at an aftercare facility with sequential inflating stockings, an electrical bed and assistance in getting in and out of bed. After the first night most patients do go home but benefit from having someone available to help them move about and get into and out of bed for the first couple of days.  Some patients have a slower recovery and others an easier more rapid recovery (especially with the use of a pain pump). There's additional info in the video link above for you.Discuss your options with your ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon and good luck/best wishes. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Though your surgeon can offer the most definite advice based on your specific procedure it is wise to have additional help for the first 1-2 weeks after surgery so as to allow yourself an uncomplicated recovery.  This is especially important in the first few days after surgery when your discomfort is at its greatest and you are eliminating anesthesia from your system.  Hope this helps.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Assistance after a tummy tuck

Thanks for the question.  When considering the speed of recovery from a tummy tuck the most important variable is whether or not a muscle plication is done.  The recovery is longer when a muscle plication is done.  Also, the use of a pain pump or Exparel with the tummy tuck can result in an easier postoperative course.  That being said I usually recommend having someone home with you for the first 24 hours.  After that recovery can vary from patient to patient but I usually like to have someone with you for 48-72 hours if a muscle plication is done.  Hope this helps and good luck!!

Postoperative Care

You have to acknowledge that Tummy Tuck, Muscle repair, and Liposuction are a wonderful combination in order to achieve a great result, but the recovery will not be easy, specially if you are a "cry baby" like me. 
I have to share with you that in my own experience, you will need 24 hour help for at least 4-5 days when you will NOT be able to do NOTHING, and then a lot of help for another 4-5 days and then little by little you will be gaining strength to do minor things by you own, like getting up from the bed or recliner, or taking showers.But definitely will need a lot of help. Be prepared.Dr. Cardenas

How Much Help Needed After a Tummy Tuck?

You should discuss this with your surgeon. For my patients, they need to have someone with them for the first 24 hours, after that it depends on the needs of the patient. Do you have small children at home that you need help with? There is a lot you can do before surgery to make things easier for yourself once you get home. Prepare and freeze meals, have clothing that is easy to get in and out of, etc. Depending on how long you are on pain medication, you may need someone to drive you to your follow up appointment. Good luck

Miguel Delgado, MD