Can femilift repair radiation damage?

Seven years ago, I was treated for endometrial cancer with a total hysterectomy, external beam radiation, and brachytherapy. I'm 46 now, and I cannot handle sex (penetration) because my vagina is too fragile. There's always a lot of bleeding and pain/discomfort if I try to do it! Can the femilift procedure help me? Thank you!

FemiLift and Radiation damage

FemiLift is a great treatment to help restore vaginal lining after the effects of radiation. It has been life-changing for many patients in your situation.  Treatments are relatively quick, taking only about 10 minutes each time.  Treatments are monthly.  Most patients require three treatments, but some may require more.  Please make sure to get clearance from your OBGYN and Oncologist before you proceed with treatment.

FemiLift after radiation damage.

Thank you for your question. We haven’t personally had patients that have come in for the FemiLift with previous external radiation treatment. The best option for you is to make sure and get clearance from your OB-GYN doctor before proceeding with the FemiLift.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Can femilift repair radiation damage?

I have treated a patient who had undergone pelvic irradiation and had difficulties with sex because of the radiation effects. She did very well and had improved sexual function after her treatments. Femilift is a good tool for restoration of sexual function. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Vaginal atrophy

Hello, vaginal atrophy secondary to radiation treatment can improve with Co2 laser.  It does require a series of treatments and may even require a maintaence treatment. But when hormone creams are contraindicated and nothing else helps, this is definitely worth a try.

FemiLift for Atrophic vaginal changes

I am thrilled to offer CO2 vaginal ablation for dyspareunia due to atrophic changes from low estrogen and radiation changes.  Last week I started a patient on her series of 3 FemiLift treatments. She has had painful sex since her pelvic radiation for rectal cancer despite years of local estrogen therapy and dilatation. During her first treatment she had an O-Shot and PRP placed within the vagina.  This combination of a FemiLift treatment and an O-Shot is referred to as a Laser Enhanced O-Shot (LEO).  She will return monthly and at her 3rd treatment she'll receive a second O-Shot and PRP to the vagina. She is also on hormone replacement therapy to help maintain healthy vaginal tissues. She communicated with the office yesterday and told us that sex was better and that she's looking forward to completing her series of treatments. She's been advised to have regular sex to help improve and maintain results.

Although there hasn't been any clinical trials for this indication I know that this combination of restorative treatments is her best chance of having a functional vagina again. Traditional therapies have already failed her and these treatments certainly won't hurt her.    

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Can femilift repair radiation damage?

Happy to hear you are cancer free, Sorry that you are in pain.
Sadly Radiation therapy destroys the good and the bad tissue at same time, as result not much healthy tissue is left there so we can rejuvenate it . Your problem is unique and there are not that many patient who have been treated with fractional Laser.
Actually in your case I do suggest, you receive 2-3 treatments with PRP ( Platelet Rich Plasma) 2 months apart, then follow it up with FemiLift.
Again I emphasis you are unique and there is no protocol available to assure you of the result.
Good luck and Best of health

Radiation damage

The problem with femilift/Mona Lisa Touch or any other laser therapy on radiated tissue is that we do not know if it will improve the tissue or not. the way the lasers work on vaginal tissue is to re-animate dormant tissue, such as in menopause. radiated tissue is not dormant but usually dead from the radiation. there are no studies on using the laser on vaginal radiated tissue. I would be cautious before trying it. I have treated over a hundred women with the Mona lisa touch and have declined using it on radiated tissue. Above all physician do no harm comes to mind here.

Peter D. Weiss, MD
Beverly Hills OB/GYN

Use of FemiLift and MonaLisa Touch for radiation-induced vaginal tightening/atrophy

Yes, both FemiLift and Mona Lisa Touch potentially can "relax" the vaginal tissue by laying down new collagen and improving elastin strand length.  The use of pixillated fractional CO2 beam therapy for vaginal atrophy is evidence-based, although there is not data specific to radiation-induced atrophy (more difficult to treat, as you are aware.)

IF there is enough vaginal caliber to allow placement or the probe through the stenotic area, it definitaly is worth a try and is an excellent option.  Find an expereencd practitioner.  This takes 3 sessions ~ 4 weeks apart, and a "touch-up" in a year.  Click below for good detaile...

Michael P Goodman MD

FemiLift for Vaginal Atrophy after Radiation Therapy

Vaginal laser therapy with CO2 (FemiLift, MonaLisa) or Erbium (IntimaLase) lasers hasn't been studied in the treatment of radiation vaginal atrophy. However, it does work well for other types of vaginal/vulvar atrophy which are similar. It might work, but you'll have to try it in order to find out. It certainly won't harm you.

Previous radiation and femilift

Yes femilift 
is a great option mostly because it isn't harmful but also because it does regenerate new tissue

Jabal Uffelman, MD
Fort Lauderdale OB/GYN