I'm a female, 17yrs. My upper arms are muscular and its embarrassing. Is there a surgery I could do to get rid of it?

Its not TOO muscular though, there's a little bit of fat. And when I hold it together tightly the muscle seems to disappear. I'm thinking of contouring my arms. I did a research on it and I found out the price varies from 3,000 - 4,000 CAD. So I was wondering,If its okay can I be on a contract? Since I'm a student I can't afford all at once. So is it possible for me to pay at least 200/300 CAD every month from the day of surgery and complete the payment before two years.

Thank you for your question.  Any surgery carries with it risks.  At 17 years of age you still have years of growth and change that will take place.  I would recommend you stay healthy, maintain your desired weight, and find alternate forms of exercise that may strengthen your muscles, without adding significant bulk, such as yoga.  

Am I too young for an arm lift?

Arm lift surgery is ideal for patients with excess skin and fat in their upper arms.  From your description alone, this does not sound like you and in my opinion 17 years is probably too young to undergo an arm lift undress you have had extreme weight loss.  Despite the fact that you have already gone through puberty, its likely your body will undergo many changes over the coming few years and the resulting scar trade off from arm lift surgery is probably not warranted.

It is too early to get an arm lift (brachioplasty)

I think that 17 years old is too early to get an arm lift (brachioplasty.)

This surgery is great for people who have excess skin and fat in their arms. In my experience, excess fat, and droopy skin is something that really bothers people in their 4th or 5th decade. No matter how much they work out, body build, or lose weight, that excess skin will not go away. Surgery seems to be the best answer in this case. 

The trade-off for all surgeries is a scar; the brachioplasty in particular leaves a fairly noticeable scar. You can only see it when you lift your arms, but it is there...and it will never go away. At your age, I don't think the scar is worth a more contoured arm. 

The exception I make is for young people who have undergone massive weight loss; in this case a brachioplasty might be appropriate. 

I am a plastic surgeon...but plastic surgery is not always the answer. Still, I would be happy to advise you. There are many ways to feel and look more beautiful and more importantly: confident. You can contour your arms in ways that don't cost money, don't risk scars, and will make you strong and beautiful. And if there is a little bit of fat left in the end? That's okay too.

Cosmetic surgery will need to be prepaid, however, many surgeons do accept Care Credit. You will be able to make payments to Care Credit if you are approved. At 17, you still may yet change, and most surgeons would recommend that you wait for few more years before any invasive surgery. However, liposuction might be helpful to make your arms smaller with very small incisions. I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Seek consultation

At the age of 17 I would be cautious about significant plastic surgery of the arms. While you have undergone puberty your body still would change significantly over the next few years.  You should seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if your a candidate for liposuction or body contouring.  If you have fat excess in your upper arms overlying muscle this might be treatable with liposuction. I would discourage any significant elective muscle reduction as this could compromise your arm function. He should meet with a plastic surgeon to determine your expectations.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Upper Arm Surgery

I recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options related to upper arm contouring. It is difficult to determine what would be best without in person evaluation or photographs. As far as financing, I recommend looking in to Care Credit. Most plastic surgery practices accept Care Credit for patient financing.

Jeremy A. Benedetti, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon