Are dental crowns better then dental bonding?

I've been getting my broken teeth fixed with dental bonding, I was wondering if dental crowns is a better alternative!

#Bonding vs #crown vs #veneer #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
Generally speaking a crown is superior to dental bonding. Composite bonding can be used as a budget friendly option to repair a chipped tooth, but it is not a permanent fix. Bonding chips and stains easily and is not as durable as porcelain crowns and veneers. Depending on how much tooth structure is remaining, a veneer may been a option for you. A veneer covers the front and wraps around the sides and biting edge of a tooth, rather than covering the entire tooth like a crown. Veneers and crowns can last 20+ years and are highly stain resistant. I would recommend speaking with an experienced cosmetic dentist about your options. The best indicator to determine if the dentist is going to give you the results that s/he claims, is by viewing before and after photos of his/her patients that have undergone similar or the same procedures. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

The material is better

As far as material, crowns are better than bonding because bonding chips and discolors in a short period of time. Porcelain crowns are stronger and maintain their original color throughout their lifetime. To do crowns, however, tooth structure must be ground away. Unless you've broken a large enough piece of your tooth off, it probably is not the best thing to remove a lot of enamel to fix that type of situation. Another restoration you could consider which is more conservative than a crown would be porcelain veneers. With porcelain veneers, you would get the porcelain material and all of the esthetics without removing as much enamel from the teeth. I suggest you visit a cosmetic dentist for a complete evaluation and have them give you treatment options.

Douglas Jopling,  DDS
Dallas,  Texas area

Crowns vs Bonding

"Better" depends on the situation.  Without X-rays and pictures of the teeth there is no way to tell which treatment options would be recommended.   If fillings or bonding is all that is necessary to restore the tooth than doing a crown may be overkill.  On the other hand, if there is a large portion of the tooth requiring replacement then a crown may be the better long term option. 

David M. Schertzer, DDS
Saint Louis Dentist