Bump on nose 27 days post open rhinoplasty. (photos)

I had open rhinoplasty 27 days ago and my nose is all wrong. I had my hump removed and now its nice and flat at the top of my nose but halfway down there's a bump and the bottom of my nose is a different size. You can only tell on the right side profile, my left side profile looks completely different. What could this be?

Bump

most likely of course at this early stage it is swelling if it feels soft and spongy but if it is hard it may mean the cartilage part of the bridge towards the tip has been underproduced and this may lead to a polybeak deformity which may need correcting

Bump on nose after rhinoplasty

Your nose is still very swollen.  With time the swelling will go down and you will likely be very happy with your results.  Be patient, though.  I counsel my patients that they can expect their nose to look very swollen for several months after rhinoplasty (especially after an open approach rhinoplasty).  

Good luck!

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

4 weeks post rhinoplasty

You are only 4 weeks post rhinoplasty and have a lot of swelling. Best to be patient with results. Best also to review with your surgeon.

Postop edema (swelling)

There is significant post op edema and it gives the appearance of a thick bottom of the nose. It will get better on its own. To expedite, you can discuss with your surgeon the possibility of steroid injections.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to contact your surgeon with any questions or concerns you may have because they are your best resource and know your anatomy and surgery best. You are still very early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side may heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon