Having a Breast Reduction soon, how much tissue is required to be removed to be covered by our MSP (from BC)? (photos)

From BC Canada and I'd like to know how much tissue is required to be removed to be covered by our MSP. I'm 32" rib measure 41" breast measure. 5'7" 140 lbs. Thankyou

Breast reduction

I do  not know how the Canadian system works, but I will say that you will need to be seen in person to determine what might be appropriate for you,. Best of luck.

Having a Breast Reduction soon

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  

Best to check directly with your "insurance entity" to see whether breast reduction surgery is a “covered” benefit with your specific policy. Then, given that every insurance company has different “criteria”, best to identify exactly what your specific insurance company considers criteria for approval.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery. Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.