How bad is the appearance of scars post breast lift?

Where is the location of the scars and are the incisions big for breast lift procedures?

New alternative choice without vertical scar

The most unsightly scar on the breast is the vertical incision.This cannot be hidden and if it is an anchor incision, it has a T junction with the areola and the inframammary fold.The T junction is notorious for bad scarring because the 3 flaps come together, canseparate deform the closure.For this reason, no vertical scar techniques were developed.2 variations are available, one uses only a circumareola incision and the other uses a circumareola and inframammary incision.Each technique reshapes the breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.These techniques avoid the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintain nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.Plastic surgeons NEVER use vertical scars for breast augmentation yet routinely use vertical scars with reductions or lifts.Now, you have a choice for a new alternative that avoids the ugly vertical scars.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

For most surgical scars are a small price to pay for a perky breast with the size and shape that is desired but nature does not provide. There are many techniques to minimize your scar following surgery. Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips in the below link:

Most scars are quite acceptable after remodeling after mastopexy.

Scars are an inevitable accompaniment of a mastopexy. Most turn out quite well but you should look at many postoperative results of the surgeon you choose to decide whether or not they are acceptable to you.

The placement of the scar will vary with the technique used. As far as healing is concerned, it's dependent on a number of factors including but not limited to surgeon's technique, patient's skin and genetic predisposition to poor healing. I would suggest that you look at many before and after photos. I would also encourage you to post your own photos to get a better idea of the procedure indicated in you. Good luck

Scars with breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. There are three possible incision/scar locations with a breast lift. In rare instances, a periareolar (around the areola) incision can be used. If you have sagging below the breast crease, this technique will likely not give you the result you are looking for. The majority of breast lifts require an incision around the areola and down the front of the breast. Due to the shape, this is commonly referred to as a "lollipop lift."  If the patient has a large amount of excess skin, an additional incision is made in the crease of the breast resulting in an "anchor" or "inverted T" scar.

The type of lift you require will be based on your anatomy. I understand the desire to keep scarring to a minimum, but keep in mind beautiful breast shape with a faded scar is still attractive and even sexy. But an unattractive breast shape without scars is still unattractive. The vast majority of my breast lift patients feel that the trade off from an unattractive breast shape to a thin scar from areola to crease is worth it.

Breast lift scars

When a breast lift is carefully performed in patients who heal well breast lift scars can be very acceptable and often very fine and lightly colored.

A periareolar breast lift only has scars around the areola.  However vertical breast lift scars place a scar from the areola down to the crease beneath your breast and in some cases horizontally within the crease.

However in my experience most patients who need a breast lift are very happy with the new shape of their breast and after 7 months or so are not concerned about the scars.

To see photographs of breast lift scars please read the following link:

Regarding Breast Lift, or Mastopexy Scars:

This is one of the main questions my patients often ask when considering a breast lift.

In particular, patients often seem most anxious regarding the vertical scar that arises from below the areola towards the infra-mammary fold.  In our experience, this is the scar that most often fades and heals the most predictably. 

The additional scar around the areola hides well in the transition between the lighter to darker skin tone of the areola and breast skin. 

If an anchor, or inverted T, pattern is used then the additional scar lies horizontally along the breast crease, or inframammary fold (IMF).  This is also an area of consistently good healing.

Also important to understand that scars in general heal best when protected from sun exposure, non-smoker, and regular massage of the area during the early months of healing.

Sergio P. Maggi, MD, FACS

Austin Plastic Surgery Center

Where are scars after a breast lift?

The scars are around the areola and can either extend down to the fold under the breast or also include the horizontal fold under the breast. The extent of the scars depends upon the severity of your ptosis (how much your breasts sag). It is best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck with your surgery.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Scars after breast lift

Generally scars after a breast lift heal nicely and often are hard to notice.  With the vertical incision  uplift there are no lateral or horizontal scars and this is great.  There are also many scar treatment programs that help prevent unsightly scars.   The healed incision is simply a great trade for correction of hanging, droopy, and unattractive breasts.    Pictures may help you understand the exact nature of thew incisions.  My Best,  Dr C

Scars of breast lift

All patients have concerns about the resultant scarring of breast lift procedures.  Their greatest concern is before surgery, but scarring isn't usually an issue we hear about after surgery very much.  The standard incisions are around the areola to re-position it higher and central, vertically down the lower pole of the breast, and often through the crease of the breast.
Incisions fade with time.  Usually this takes a year or more and with current day use of Silicone based tape over the incisions, scar maturation is much quicker.
Most photos posted show incision at 3 - 6 months, but it is also important to look at photos where the incisions are years old.

Brian Peterson, MD
Kelowna Plastic Surgeon