Asymmetric breasts after implants?

My breasts are very different after implants I know I made another post and I was told to just be patient... I'm finding I'm getting depressed however. I hated my breasts after having kids and I found I was so excited to get them done they cost a lot of money too. When I first got them done I was in love because they both looked the exact same size they were large... now I am so unhappy please tell me your honest honest thoughts. I got my surgery October 3rd

Asymmetrical breast

Hi, thank you for your question. I have understand the frustrations, however during the early weeks of recovery, your breasts are still swollen and your implants hasn't settled down yet. It usually takes 6 months to 1 year until you can see the final results. Breast massage and tube bra may help, however it is best to discuss this with your surgeon.

All the best!

Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric breasts early after BA

Thank you for your question.  Implants to drop and settle down over time.  Sometimes a gentle downward massage pushing the implants south can be helpful.  Give yourself at least 3 months after surgery before getting a better idea about your breast appearance however.  Also, be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Asymmetric breasts after implants?

Your breasts will settle over the next several months. There are techniques to help push the implants downward like strapping and massage. Speak with your surgeon about these options. 

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets, sometimes you heal quicker in one breast than the other and one implant can even drop sooner than the other one.  If one implant is still sitting too high, the use of a breast binder and a foam wedge is beneficial to add downward pressure to that breast. I would continue to perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

BA

The implants may have migrated superiorly and now are not centered around your nipples.  This give you that top fullness that may look a bit unnatural.  Sometimes superior massage to push them down over time can have some improvement.  However, it may be that a pocket revision may be necessary.  

Asymmetric breasts after implants?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and/or advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Asymmetric breasts after implants?

A little difficult to say given the orientation of the photo.  It has only been three weeks since your surgery.  There can be some asymmetry early after a breast augmentation.  I would be patient over the next several weeks and follow up with your surgeon and follow the post operative directions of your surgeon as well. Best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants drop

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Uneven breasts

Although your breasts do appear moderately asymmetric you are still early in your post op phase and things will change. You can try to massage the higher implant with a gentle downward motion to encourage the settling but time will help them even out 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric breasts after implants?

Thank you for your question.  You're not yet a full month after breast augmentation.  You will need at least 3 months for the implants to drop and be able to see your final result. Ask your plastic surgeon if and when you may start breast implant displacement exercises and possibly a Bando to help the implants drop into a more natural position.  Ultimately I think you will be happy.