40 Year old with eye bags that came out of no where and won't go away. Is it fluid retention or fat prolapse? (photo)

Bags/puffiness started about 6 wks ago. I started taking vitamins,restricted glutten and increased water intake as I was having some digestion issues. I at times notice water retention around my ankles(comes and goes) but the eye bags have not disappeared. Overall I feel pretty good since cutting glutten. I have discontinued vitamins. Strangely cold compress,spoon or cucumber causes the swelling to increase alot in both upper and lower lids. At times my eyes feel filmy and watery and bloodshot.

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question. The under eye bags appear to be puffiness in the picture and based on your description, however, it is impossible to know without an examination. I suggest that you consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine your best course of action.  Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

fillers, lasers, skin tightening can all be done to improve the area without surgery.  please see an expert for options.  dr. emer.

Lower lid bags

Thank you for posting your pictures. The fat under your eyelids can retain water and get more pronounced. Considering the rest of your issues, this could be the case. Why are you retaining water would be my first question? You may need to change diet (low sodium), etc. Fillers in the tear trough area will help camouflage the eyelid bags, but you have to be careful because the actual filler could also retain water. I prefer Belotero in this area as it tends to retain less water. Results can last for 6-9 months and sometimes longer depending on the patient. A transconjuctival blepharoplasty to remove the fat deposit under your eyelid can help and give you a more definitive result. Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Despite the dire warnings of celebrity wheat bashers, only 1% of the population have a gluten sensitivity.

I would recommend seeing your internist for a thoughtful assessment to make sure you do not have a metabolic disorder such as an abnormal thyroid.  You photos show that you have upper eyelid ptosis and a small amount of herniated orbital fat in the lower eyelid.  You probably can avoid eyelid surgery by electing to have under eye fillers.  The upper eyelids would benefit from ptosis surgery but this is elective.

Lower lid bags

This is the fat of the lower lids.  Patients will often notice that the fat pads can swell more depending on diet, allergies, amount of sleep etc.   But you can't make the fat pads disappear with a change in the diet.  Some HA filler such as Restylane under the fat pad should help to soften their appearance and would last at least a year. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid bags

Based on the location of the puffiness, it appears more likely to be fat prolapse. This is not atypical, even at your young age.  Because it isn't swelling, cold or vitamin treatments or changes in diet won't have any affect.  Your options are to ignore it, check into having filler placed in the tear trough or consider a lower eyelid blepharoplasty.  See an oculoplastic surgeon in your area who can advise you on your best course of action.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye bags

Hi Jay, this doesn't look like typical undereye bags. This kind of swelling could be due to an allergy. You could try taking Zyrtec to see if it makes an improvement, but if it continues you should probably see someone to try to identify the cause of your symptoms.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician