1.5 years BA post-op, incision still healing? Is this normal? Suggestions? (Photo)

I had my BA done over 1.5 years ago. The incision has some bad scarring and it's taking a really long time to "heal" It still looks reddish/purple and it's bumpy. Some days it looks brighter and irritated then other days. It's not itchy. Would anyone be able to explain why it has healed the way it has? None of my friends that have gotten their BA's have gotten it this bad. Their scars have seemed to heal with no lingering redness. Any suggestions what to do? Thanks

1.5 years BA post-op, incision still healing? Is this normal? Suggestions?

Based on your photos, your scar appears to be healed but does show some signs of hyperpigmentation. This is not necessarily uncommon and may continue to lighten some more over time. There are some lightening methods that you can discuss with your surgeon such as a topical lightening cream or laser treatments that target pigmentation. Everyone heals at different rates and scars differently as well. 

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo your incision appears to be healed however you have postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.  This can be successfully treated usually with laser or IPL.  Please see her plastic surgeon for a referral.

Scars Healing 1.5 Years Post-Op

Scars can take at least one year to fade. During this time, you must protect them carefully. Be extremely careful if areas of your breast skin have reduced sensitivity.

Now, since it has been a year and a half since your surgery it would likely be a good idea to visit your surgeon to have the scar examined to make sure that it is healing or whether there may be some slight problem keeping it from healing properly. Good luck!

Post operative scars

Generally it takes 9 to 12 months for incisions after surgery to fully mature. This is not a hard fast rule as some patients can take a little longer to heal .The scar may actually look worse before it gets better. There can be multiple reasons why one patient forms a noticeable scar and others do not.   These reasons include but not limited to: the patient's genetics, post operative issue such as infection or simply an incision opening up, or the way in which the  incision was closed.   Your surgeon would have a more accurate answer as they would be able to eliminate some of these reasons.  

Gerald L. Yospur, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon

Bad scar after augmentation

Thank you for your question and photo.  I am sorry to hear about your complication.  From what I can see, your incision is fully healed; however, it widened, darker, and irregular, what we would call a "hypertrophic scar".   Additionally, it appears  that either 1) your breasts have fallen and the incision has ridden up on your breast, or 2) the incision was not placed low enough at the initial surgery.  Ideally the incision should be along the breast crease underneath the breast.  

At this point, it is unlikely that you will see any improvement.  The only potential option would be a scar revision.  Best to follow up with your surgeon and see what they can offer.  

Good luck. 

Hypertrophic scar

it appears your scar(one more than the other) has healed in a thickened/hypertrophic fashion. This was likely bc of tension on the skin from the initial surgery. This could be easily revised in the office if you really don't like it. At 1.5yr out from surgery, it is unlikely to change much at this point.