Is a Tummy Tuck safe without the use of drainage pumps?

Is TT safe without drains?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello
When the skin is separated from the abdominal wall during the tummy tuck, it leaves a raw surface that can ooze blood and fluid until it sticks back down to the muscle. That blood and fluid could accumulate and cause what's called a seroma (a collection of fluid under the skin). For that reason, many surgeons use drains so that the fluid drains out, rather than accumulating under the skin.

However, there are newer techniques that allow us to avoid drains in many tummy tucks. Some surgeons use "quilting sutures" or "progressive tension sutures" to stick the skin back down to the abdominal wall. This works very well to prevent fluid buildup, take tension off the incision, and reduce swelling. Some surgeons will use quilting sutures, but also place a drain for a short time. All of the above options are acceptable, drains or no drains, and will depend upon your surgeon's experience and preferences.
I hope that helps.
Best wishes-

Is a Tummy Tuck Safe Without the Use of Drainage Pumps

The #drainage tubes for a tummy tuck are used by trained Plastic Surgeons for many different operations. The purpose is to drain extra fluid which may otherwise accumulate under the skin, fat or muscle following an operation.  Patients generally find this annoying and uncomfortable and they can impede mobility and therefore slow aspects of #healing. Over the years, surgeons have improved procedures and found ways to eliminate the need for these #drains in a variety of operations; including #tummy #tuck or #abdominoplasty.

I have found that most of my patients do very well with the exception of those have large areas of liposuction or lipo-abdominoplasty.  I may use drains on a case by case basis for these patients. A newer option now can include the use of tissue #glue to adhere the abdominal #skin to the #muscle; eliminating any space that previously required a drain.

Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation. All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation. Also, another element to a satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations. The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Brainless tummy Tucks

The answer is yes, as long as your surgeon does additional manoeuvres to take this into account, such as placement of deep (internal) stitches to close off the space. Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

Some good doctors feel drains are a good idea, other equally good surgeons do not. Pick your surgeon for his/her results and let the surgeon decide how to do the surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Drains

Drains are frequently used but can be avoided by using other methods to reduce seroma formation. 
I've used Progressive Tension Sutures, as well as Tisseal glue to help stop fluid build up without use of drains. There are risks and benefits to each method so you need to discuss this with your local surgeon. 

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tucks and Drains

All doctors have personal preferences.  The majority of plastic surgeons use drains after a tummy tuck but there is new literature which suggests methods for tacking down the skin so that a drain is not necessary.  The reason for using a drain is to reduce the possibility of forming a seroma or fluid pocket under your skin by keeping the space between your skin and your abdomen on suction.  By adding tacking sutures, the surgeon sews this space together.  It really is a surgeon's preference.  Speak to your surgeon about her/his preference and why she/he has made that choice.  Good luck!

Melissa Doft, MD

Tummy tuck is safe without drains

Lots of doctors use drains.  Lots don't.  There are pros and cons to every decision we make in plastic surgery.  Drains are no exception.  If your surgeon does not use drains, feel free to ask them about the risks of not using them.  Essentially it is the risk of a serum...fluid collection.  There are several things that I do to minimize that problem...so a drain is only one option.  Often I put a single drain for a couple of days, but not always.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Assistant Clinical Professor &
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training,
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC