Is shaving down the nose hump and improving a drooping tip suitable for my nose? Realistic results? (Photo)

I am travelling outside of Canada for my surgery (to a board certified surgeon). My doctor had requested blood work and a CT of the sinuses, both came back normal. I personally feel like my rhinoplasty is low risk, however is my narrow nose bridge hard to work with? My biggest concern with my nose is the side profile, and when i smile my tip tends to curve down. I do like my nose, I just want an improved version.

Rhinoplasty candidate for drooping tip and dorsal hump

The photographs demonstrate a dorsal hump which is composed both bone and cartilage, and a slightly droopy tip. The midportion of the nose is also very narrow and asymmetric. A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish making the changes to the nose, with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. The dorsal hump can be shaved down, the entire nose slightly de-projected, the tip can be refined, and the midportion of the nose will require spreader grafts placed to prevent  collapse of the upper lateral cartilages inward. To prevent the tip from drooping when smiling requires releasing of the depressor septi ligament. Rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. Computer imaging performed in the office setting/ Online would also be helpful to get an idea of what can  and cannot be accomplished with a rhinoplasty procedure. For many rhinoplasty  before-and-afters, please see the video and the link below

Is shaving down the nose hump and improving a drooping tip suitable for my nose? Realistic results?

Yes! You are an excellent candidate for Rhinoplasty. A rhinoplasty is not just shaving down the hump but involves the whole structure of the nose. I would elevate and restructure your tip along with improving the appearance of your nostrils. Make sure that your surgeon is very experienced at cosmetic rhinoplasty and has done hundreds of surgeeries. Best of luck to you!

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Realistic results from rhinoplasty

You are a gorgeous young woman and seem to have realistic expectations for your nasal appearance. However, please do not expect your rhinoplasty to be a "chip-shot" surgery. I agree that you could benefit from hump reduction and tip refinement. But your cartilage framework is also slightly shifted to the left and your middle vault is very narrow. I expect your nose would need spreader grafts to support the middle third and ensure it remains functional. You will certainly want to breathe through your nose after surgery!  In addition, a strut graft may be necessary to support the tip and the depressor muscles could be snipped to keep the nose from being pulled down when you smile.  As you can see your goals are possible but I wouldn't describe your surgery as "low risk".  Make sure you are comfortable during and after your consultation and best of luck with your surgery!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Shaving Nasal Hump and Improving Tip

I agree with Dr Bressler that your rhinoplasty is not low risk unless done by a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. When doing a rhinoplasty procedure on a pretty young lady with your nose relatively subtle changes are necessary and cartilage grafts will be needed so you achieve a balanced natural result

Natural Rhinoplasty Results

Thanks for your post and photos. As an attractive women with thin skin, dorsal hump and droopy tip I personally do not feel that your rhinoplasty is of low risk. In fact, your case may be fairly advanced and require finesse rhinoplasty with autologous cartilage grafts including a strut graft and bilateral middle vault spreader grafts  for your narrow bridge in order to maintain a natural and facially harmonious result. It is fine to travel in search for a physician with whom you feel can provide you with appropriate benefit. Upon arrival to your physician's office, I suggest you spend enough time in consultation to understand exact what is recommended for your particular case. Pre-operative computer imaging studies may be helpful in understand and communicating your goals to your physician. Have all your questions and concerns answered to your complete satisfaction and you should have a positive rhinoplasty outcome. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon