Will I need a revision because my left implant slides up to my collar bone while laying down? (photos)

I had 275cc mod placed dual plane. Today is my 6th post day. Im worried because my doctor hasnt replied yet about my concern. I woke up with my left implant so high it was almost touching my collar bone. The right implant stays relatively in place. When I sit back up the implant slides back down. It's very cold when it slides. I am worried that my breast pocket has been made too large and that is why it slides up and down so high or the pocket has been stretched b/c of the weight of the implant.

High riding implant

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Implants too high

It is too early to make an assessment of the breasts at this stage. It is not uncommon for breasts to appear too high or to appear to move around too much immediately after surgery. It is also not uncommon for the breasts to be asymmetric, with one breast appearing different compared to the other. Although, I agree that the implant does seem to go excessively high, but this may decrease over the next several weeks. 

John Diaz, MD

High riding implant

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon for one or both implants to be higher on the chest wall early in the postop period.  It does appear that you do not have the breast strap sitting correctly on that side holding the implant down.  There is no need to be concerned this early after surgery.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon at your followup visit.  

Will I need a revision because my left implant slides up to my collar bone while laying down?

Although your concerns are understandable, it is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed and therefore much too early to determine whether or not additional surgery will be beneficial. I ask patients to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed 3 to 6 months after it was done; you can expect significant changes to occur between now and then. As you mentioned, your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance.   Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.