Which procedure would you recommend, a lollipop scar or an anchor scar? (Photo)

I am thinking of either getting just a breast lift or lift with implants. The pictures on here show the drawings the doctor has done for the surgery. He says I need an anchor surgery for either procedure. I really do not want a anchor scar, however it might be the only way. Please let me know your professional opinion!! My surgery is in two days.

My Usual Procedures

I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring. You should be able to ask the preference of any certified plastic surgeon in consultation and make sure which procedure would be best for your specific case. Best of luck!

Which procedure would you recommend, a lollipop scar or an anchor scar?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your degree of excess tissue and skin, the anchor scar would be best.  This scar is very well hidden within the breast crease.  It fades well and allows the surgeon the most flexibility in shaping your breasts.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Anchor scar or lollipop scar for breast reduction?

There are many different types of breast reductions with different scar patterns after the surgery.  The most common is the lollipop scar which encircles the areola and descends in a vertical fashion from the 6:00 position of the areola down to the inframammary crease.  The anchor scar has the same scar pattern as the lollipop with the addition of a scar under the entire breast crease.  These is usually reserved for VERY LARGE breast reductions.  Then there is scar pattern (Horndeski) around the entire areola and inframammary breast crease, without the vertical scar.Based on the photos submitted, you would be an excellent candidate for the vertical incision.  This is a quick outpatient procedure with little down time.Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

After looking at your pictures, I would recommend the anchor scar lift.  You seem to have loose skin in both an up and down direction as well as from left to right.I am not sure why so many women are worried about the scar in the crease that is part of the anchor scar.  It fades well as all the scars and is the most hidden.  If you get a natural and perky breast from the lift, you will not even care about the scars.Just be sure to look at your surgeon's results to see if he or she does get flat and thin scars.  Some do not.Good luck to you.Dr Spies

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon