Can overuse of antibiotics harm the grafts from a hair transplant procedure?

I had a HT 6 months ago. I've been extremely paranoid about getting an infection. I did a round of oral antibiotics as directed by the clinic right after the surgery and the two more rounds in the following months that were probably unnecessary as I mistakenly believed I had an infection when it was probably just regular healing. Currently I may have a small infection from an ingrown hair and have been prescribed antibiotics once again. Wondering if overuse of antibiotics can harm the grafts?

Antibiotics

I'm unaware of antibiotics hurting grafts.  There are other problems with long term antibiotic use, however.  The scalp is very vascular and rarely gets infected.  We don't routinely give antibiotics to our patients.

It is best to follow your doctor's advice over advice from the Internet. Antibiotic does not cause hair loss in general.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Use of antibiotics

Antibiotics and their use should not negatively impact a hair transplant. IF you had an infection, that is another story. This story sounds confusing to me so I would suggest that you return to your doctor and as your doctor these questions

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

I know of no evidence that antibiotic use and including excessive antibiotic usage has any detrimental effects to grafts. However you should know that excessive antibiotic usage can cause resistance to the efficacy of antibiotics. Furthermore, scalp infections after hair transplants is a fairly rare complication as the scalp is able to ward off infections due to its marvelous blood supply. Be careful not to be alarmed over minor scalp inflammation which will often clear with warm compresses and observation. Don't be afraid to call your transplant surgeon  when you need advice.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon