Is it normal to not have steri strips put on the incision after a mastopexy revision?

I just had my lollipop mastopexy revision, but my surgeon didn't put steristips on. I just had the large bandages, and was advised to take those off today. Will not having the steristips affect my scarring? Thanks in advance.

Steri Strips on Incision or Not

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

If you are worried that not having the strips applied is a problem then it would be best to schedule a follow-up with your surgeon to discuss the issue and make sure that healing is going well.

Hello dear, thanks for your questions and provided information as well.. Every surgeon has it's own ways and manners to cover incisions, besides that you have to tell your surgeon what's happening always. Steri-trips are not good for healing properly.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

No steri-strips

Hello, there are many ways to cover a surgical wound, and steri-strips do not guarantee that incisions will heal perfectly.  If you ask your surgeon about this, they will probably have a reason why they prefer not to use these adhesive tapes.

Steri Strips do not guarantee good scars!

In fact, stretching steri strips can cause inflammation, blisters, and WORSE scars. I also think some surgeons are OK with fast (and therefore sometimes "sloppy") inaccurate closures, and both try to flatten them with steri strips, as well as "hide them" for a while! So there!

I use steri strips in only a few situations where the skin adhesive strips are actually considered part of the closure--the rest of the time, an accurate precision closure is just fine and often better without an additional covering layer. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Steri Strips?

Steri strips are not normal in every practice. Some physicians really like them and others choose not to use those on their patients. There's many ways to dress up a surgical site. I would suggest you follow your doctor's recommendations and reach out to them with any concerns about your incisions. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Thank you for the question. There is no "normal" or   universally accepted "standard". In other words, practices will vary.  Best to ask your plastic surgeon about his/her rationale...  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.