Why does one nipple look different post BA? (Photo)

6 months post op, 2nd post have some changes. One nipple is perfect but the other is larger seems like it is more stretched with a much less distinctive margin. The bottom half in particular puffs out (just the bottom half). My nipples were symmetrical before and they were not tuberous. I can see the puffiness through my shirt. I also notice the nipple doesnt get as hard as the other one when I am cold? No pain or discomfort, and otherwise very happy with results.

Nipple Asymmetry After Breast Augmentation

Based on your photo, I agree that the results of your breast augmentation are very nice. Without seeing a photo of your breasts before the surgery, it's difficult to accurately assess why you may be noticing some asymmetry now. As other specialists have pointed out, asymmetry is quite common, and it can become more noticeable after getting breast implants. At 6 months after surgery, your breasts are still healing from the procedure, and the changes may become less noticeable after a year. The same is true with differences in nipple sensitivity.  

Why does one nipple look different post BA?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, the breasts are never symmetric, if you do not feel confortable with your appearance, consult your surgeon.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Need before surgery photos

It would be helpful to see before surgery photos.  From the photo you have provided it seems like you have a good result.  Asymmetry is very difficult to impossible to correct with plastic surgery.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Asymmetry Concerns

It is not uncommon for people to become more aware of an asymmetry and differences between the nipples after BA surgery. Comparing pre op photos would be helpful. I recommend that you share your concerns and questions with your operating surgeon.

All the best

Nipples looks different after breast augmentation.

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• First of all, you have a very very nice result.
  • None of us has symmetric tissues - you probably had a slight nipple asymmetry before surgery.
  • The pressure of a breast implant on the tissues can stretch our areolae and our nipples.
  • The puffiness is likely projection of tissue around the nipple that you didn't notice before augmentation.
  • The loss of nipple hardness is probably from stretch of the nerves to the nipple - this may resolve over the next year.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Does one nipple look different post augmentation.

There can be asymmetries in the breast for most of us, and often what is not appreciated before breast augmentation is noticed after when we look more closely at our results. Yes, one nipple is slightly different than the other, though your result is natural and normal and very good. Perhaps things will improve a bit more in six more months, but you are off to a very good start.

Pre op

Look at your preoperative photos and it may give you a clue of why you are noticing some difference.  Nipple sensitivity may take over a year to return to baseline.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Asymmetry and post op results

Everyone has some asymmetry naturally - men, women...everyone.  However, when we put in implants, the breast asymmetry can be much more noticeable.  Additionally, nipple position, shape and behavior (when it's cold) can also be different from side to side and change after implant (look how many post op nipples/areolas look larger).  Add in the additional factor of incision and healing around the areola and you have so many factors that can affect the symmetry.  

I don't think there is anything wrong from what you have described.  but the asymmetry is something you will likely have to become comfortable with, or discuss with your PS if there is anything to do about it.  There are all sorts of techniques we can use to improve/balance breast and or nipple shape but it is difficult to anticipate those things if the differences were minimal preoperatively.  

Hope that helps,

Christopher C. Chang, MD 

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Differences in nipples after breast augmentation.

Without seeing your before photos it is hard to give an answer.  Breast augmentation magnifies any differences there were before surgery and most patients don't notice a difference when there actually was a difference before surgery. In addition the nipples can become puffy after surgery, especially with an areolar incision.  Review your before photos with your surgeon.  Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon