What can I do to minimize the appearance of scars after breast lift and augmentation?

Are there any creams, special products or procedures that are recommended?

Yes, there are several good products to help minimize scarring--Mederma, Scar Guard, and a variety of silicone strips, sheeting, and gel that can be applied. Also, please avoid all tanning for at least 6 months.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Minimizing breast scarring after a breast lift/augmentation surgery?

You ask a very commonly asked question.  I personally believe in the use of Steri-Strips for the first several weeks to protect and cover the incisions but then offer my patients a series of  tape applications using a system called Embrace Scar Therapy.  This does not eliminate scarring or guarantee that you be satisfied with the scar, but seems to reduce the prominence of the scars in most patients.  Each tape is replaced every 10 days and in my experience has proven to be beneficial.  A few patients become irritated by the tape which works biomechanically removing the tension on the incision not by the use of silicone.
Discuss this option with your chosen ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes and good luck. Remember that healing quality is primarily a genetic factor so silicone or Embrace Scar Therapy will only provide some benefit.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Minimizing scars after breast surgery

I have my patients tape the incisions with paper tape for six weeks. At that time, we evaluate the healing and decide whether to proceed with another 12 weeks of silicone sheeting or silicone gel application.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Ask your plastic surgeon

Combination lift and augmentation surgery involves high tension closures.  In my practice I recommend support of incisions with steri strips and compression bras 24/7 for the first 2 to 3 weeks.  Then we move over to silicone gel and stop the steri strips.  The supportive compression bra is worn 24/7 for the first month.No exercise or exertion during this time.Every surgeon does things a little differently..the above is what works in my hands.  Touch base with your plastic surgeon about their recommendations.

Embrace Active Scar Defense

After breast lift and augmentation surgery, it is important to start a scar therapy early in the healing process. Once an incision is closed, a great initial scar treatment is Embrace Active Scar Defense. This product relieves scar tension, which is an important factor in scar formation. Embrace can be used for many different types of incisions as it comes in a variety of sizes to meet patient needs. Treatment with Embrace is typically started 1-2 weeks after surgery and applied for 8-10 weeks. The total duration of treatment depends on how your body tends to scar. Once you have completed treatment with Embrace, transitioning to a silicone scar gel can help further minimize your scars. A silicone scar gel recommended by many plastic surgeons is bioCorneum. This product is great because it includes a blend a three types of silicone as well as SPF 30, which prevents any sun-induced discoloration. It is best to continue using a silicone scar gel for 6-12 months after surgery. During your recovery period, remember to follow-up with your board-certified plastic surgeon to ensure you are healing nicely and happy with your results. Good luck in your research!

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast Lift & Augmentation - Minimize scars

Thank you for your question. In addition to following post-operative guidelines, I recommend my patients wear silicone gel sheets (Mepiform) over the incision and / or we recommend a scar cream.  A compression or surgical bra should be worn for 4 weeks following your surgery to allow for breast support and to avoid pressure on the breast incisions. 
Best Regards,

Rafi S. Bidros, MD, FACS