Is it medically possible to go larger than 230cc gel implant? (Photo)

I'm 5"5 and around 112lbsmy surgeon said because I'm so small chested the biggest implant he can put in is 230cc or less..will this even make a difference.I'm torn and the surgery is in only 20 days.can anyone please tell me if they think I should be able to go bigger..if not I will be happy with the 230cc ..I wanted to be a full c but he says I won't get even close to that..right now I'm an a cup and could probably wear aa.thanks

How To Choose Which Breast Implant Size Is Best For You

Thank you for your question. Provided that you are otherwise healthy, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a breast augmentation. Furthermore, I believe that if you choose implants larger than 230cc, you will have fantastic results. In my opinion, the best way to pick breast implants is to do a combination of trying implant sizers on to see what size you like best, along with obtaining 3-dimensional imaging to help you understand what you will look like after the procedure. If your plastic surgeon does not offer these options, I strongly recommend that you look around for a surgeon who does—it is important that you feel comfortable with your decision going into surgery. Best of luck!

Is it medically possible to go larger than 230cc gel implant?

We could only answer that question after an exam. It sounds like you would do well to get 2-3 opinions before having any surgery. You don't want to go through that procedure and spend all that money and not be happy. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for the question. Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.   Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is: 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. Sometimes, it may be helpful to seek a few consultations. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "full C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for petite patients) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Implant size choices

Picking the proper implant for a patient is a complicated process that involves certain compromises for the best overall results.  It is important that an implant fits a patient's breast base width properly and is not excessively large.  In general, larger implants are associated with higher complication rates after surgery.Keeping that in mind, it is also important for patients to be happy after surgery and feel like the process was worth the results.  I have not seen you in person or measured your base width diameter, but based on your height and weight, I would be surprised if I could not find a larger implant than 230cc that would work for you.  If you are pretty sure that you will not be happy with 230cc after trying on that volume, you may want to re-discuss things with your surgeon.  Going too large isn't a great idea because of possible long term issues, so I'm glad your surgeon is on the more conservative side, but I would guess that you can safely use a moderately larger implant without having major issues.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Hard to answer this question without specific breast measurements AND an in person exam. Remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. Remember also that sizers will only give you a rough estimate. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. Good luck!!

Yes it is possible to go larger.

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like after so if you feel that size implant is smaller than you had in mind, speak up now. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Bigger possible

It is certainly possible to enlarge your Breast with a larger implant. Submuscular placement is a must and a breast specialist critical 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS