Why is my left breast so much larger than the right breast? (Photo)

Today is Oct 12th.i just had my breast augmentation done yesturday.I notice my left Breast is so much larger.could this just be swelling??

Hello and thank you for your question. Unfortunately it is hard to see much in your photo with the bra still on. It is too early at this point to worry about asymmetry. If your left breast was larger before surgery then it is still going to be larger after surgery. If they were relatively close in size then at this point you just have to wait for the swelling to go down and the implants to drop. Once this happens, your breast may start to look closer to the same size. You should definitely call your plastic surgeon and relay your concern however....If your breast  is "so much larger" then you want to make sure there is nothing concerning going on like a hematoma. I hope this helps and congrats on your new breasts!

Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Why is my left breast so much larger than the right breast?

Thank you for your question.  Your very early in recovery and is very common for there to be asymmetry between the 2 sides.  Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination and possibly to initiate breast implant displacement exercises to help the implants drop

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photo. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Unable to tell by the photo.  Generally, there could be asymmetry from swelling this early or it could be a hematoma if you have expanding size associated with increasing pain and tightness.  Make sure you alert your surgeon to be properly evaluated.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

You are extremely early in your recovery period and without seeing pre-op photos, it is hard to determine whether it is completely due to swelling or an asymmetry you had in your anatomy before surgery. I would recommend consulting with your surgeon so they can perform a physical examination. While there is swelling present, the breasts may appear uneven or out of place. Over the next 6-8 weeks the swelling should begin to resolve and the breasts will start to drop into their pockets and appear more natural and symmetrical. Everyone heals at different rates and one side may heal quicker than the other. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to make a final judgement about your breasts. Best of luck in your recovery.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Contact your PS just in case

A day after breast augmentation, it's normal to have swelling and for the breasts to be uneven, but you should contact your plastic surgeon and express your concern. If there's any issue with how your breasts are healing, they can address it right away. Best wishes.

Adam L. Basner, MD

Needs evaluation

It is best to alert your plastic surgeon for a recheck and exam. It is likely just swelling but the safest would be to have a recheck.