Which laser for tattoo removal enough to have a cover up done? (Photo)

I'm a student and I would like to take a cheap option but I also want to be safe. In my town there is a doctor who estimated about $200/treatment with the Revlite laser. 3 hours away in the bigger city there is a doctor with the Picosure who estimated about $250/treatment but I also have to account for travel expenses. Also in the city 3 hours away there is a shop charging $80/treatment with the Medlite C6 but who are not physicians and I also have travel expenses. Any insight is appreciated!:)

Tattoo Removal

Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths and the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. Certain colors respond best to certain wavelengths. The amount of treatments can vary based on several factors such as the location of your tattoo, how sharp the ink is, and how quickly your body eliminates the ink. I believe that tattoos are removed faster and safer with Pico lasers and there is less risk of scarring. I think it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider.

Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatments

I would consult with an expert. Keep in mind that tattoo removal takes a series of treatments. See an expert for treatment options. Best, Dr. Emer

​Use the Best Technology Available

Q-Switch or nanosecond lasers came out about 20 years ago.  Picosecond laser came out about 3 years ago.  The majority of former Q-Switch patients we see have significant hypopigmentation (ghosting) around and under their tattoo.  The Q-Switch lasers have trouble differentiating between the melanin in your skin and ink.  The technology uses heat to burn the pigment out of your skin.  In addition, we have seen patients with raised scars as if they have been branded.  Both of these condition are irreversible. 

Picosecond lasers (like the PicoWay & PicoSure) fire 1000 times faster, using a pressure wave rather than heat to shear the ink molecules apart.  After using the PicoSure for almost 2 years, we have only seen pinpoint hypopigmentation in a very small number of patients usually of darker skin tones.  We cannot say it is impossible to get burned with a Picosecond laser, but it is highly unlikely.  We tell every PicoSure tattoo patient to expect at least 6 treatments, but don’t be surprised if it takes 10 to 12.  Patience is the key for our patients.  We typically see our tattoo removal patients every 6 to 8 weeks initially.  If they have more time than money, we encourage them to come every 6 months as the tattoos seem to continue to fade while they wait.

We recommend waiting 6 weeks until your tattoo is healed and then finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.  The cost for picosecond treatments will be higher, but you should need less than half the treatments compared to a nanosecond laser.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician