What kind of implant, shape and CC size would be good for me. High profile anatomic silicone? Saline? Gummy bear? (photo)

Im 38 years old, 1 child, 5'3", 123 lbs, I like to do sports. I'm a 34A or 36A (most of the time). I'm looking for volume but still want my breast to have movement. I was thinking of a D cup and I don't want to look like a porn star. I would like them to fall like a natural breast would. Thanks fo you help!! I saw a surgeon and he suggested 500-600 CC silicone gel high profile anatomic.... Not sure if that would rise too high? Will I have enough skin to cover the implant? Thank you!!

Breast implant sizing

Hello and thanks for your photosYou look like an excellent candidate for breast augmentation with cohesive silicone gel implants. We have several excellent options available in Canada.If you are looking for a more natural result, you may want to consider staying a bit smaller than the 500-600 cc implants you're considering. The implants will weigh more than a pound each and will stretch your tissues quite a bit.There are many ways to determine size, including your measurements, your wish photos, "rice test", trying on sizers in the office, etc. I would encourage you to try as many of these options as possible and to clearly communicate your wishes to your surgeon.Best wishes-

What kind of implant, shape and CC size would be good for me. High profile anatomic silicone? Saline?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photos I think you are starting a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Also, based on your body type, I would recommend the use of silicone gel breast implants for you.  You will find a lot of information on this website outlining the pros/cons associated with saline versus silicone gel breast implants.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical. 
  Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Your questions would be best answered during the consultation and after taking measurements. During the consultation, you can try on a variety of sizes that best suit your frame and tissue, and decide what you do like. I would suggest trying on 500 and 600 cc implants so you can see the size and feel the weight. both are fairly large and heavy implants.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Recommend SRF Allergan cohesive silicone gel implants under the muscle. Size will depend on your breast bio dimensions 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. best of luck! Dr Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon