How does Juvederm wear off in your lips?

I'm getting Juvederm injections from a nurse at a spa. I have pretty thin lips, I just want to even out my crooked top lip and plump them a bit. When you get the touch up, do you go when they are back to normal or when they start fading? I don't understand when they say they last about 6-9 months, does that mean within those months it goes away little by little, or around that time is when it starts to fade? Do you get the same amount injected to touch up as you did when you first got them done?

Juvederm & Lips

Over the course of 6-9 months, your lips will decrease in size, returning to their pre-treatment state at the 6-9 month make. I hope this helps. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Juvederm wearing off

Most people notice a gradual decrease in volume in the lips. After 6-9 months, generally you need retreatment, not a "touchup". You will most likely need the same amount injected into your lips during each treatment. I generally use only one syringe of Juvederm Ultra for the lips. Any more usually gives on "duck lips", which is not my style.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Hi, the body will dissolve and remove the Juvederm, from your lips slowly over the next 3-9 months.  When you want fuller lips, additional Juvederm will need to be injected.  The amount depends on how long has passed between treatments and how full you want the lips at the time of the new treatment.  Hope this helps.  

Everyone responds to fillers differently. Every scenario you mention is possible. In most cases, people will return for repeat filler treatments between 9-12 months following their last injection. This might require the same volume or slightly less than the previous treatment. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does it last?...

This is a great question.  The amount of time that each filler lasts depends on the location in the body and the type of filler used. Hyaluronic acids such as juvederm and restylane tend to maintain their volume as they are naturally broken down by the body and you see a gradual disappearance of the porduct over time. On average,  most products last 6-9 months. I evaluate each patient at the time of each injection to see where the product is needed to achieve the desired result. This can be different location each time. 

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Lips

Juvederm gradually wears off in the lips over time.  Depending on what product was injected and how much will determine how long it will last.  Restylane generally lasts six months and Juvederm around 9 months in the lips.  Best, Dr. Green

Great question. Hyaluronic acid fillers, including Juvederm, are broken down by enzymes in the body and the eliminated. This is usually a gradual process that happens over weeks to months (3-9 months on average), depending on the area of the face treated. In general, temporary fillers in the lips do not last as long as other regions of the face. The reason for this is unclear. perhaps, there is more motion in this area, and the product gets massaged away faster. our experience in treating lips has been a duration of 4-6 months on average, but shorter perioids have been seen.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm in lips

Juvederm or other HA fillers placed into the lips will be resorbed slowly over about 6-9 months.  The rate is quite variable from person to person.  As it starts to go away, you can do a touch up with a smaller amount to maintain the shape that you like.  Or you can wait until it is all gone and start over.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hello Calliex,

Juvederm tends to be slowly removed by your body.  It will be completely gone in about 9 months.  Depending on how full your lip is to start you may notice you need a touch up much sooner than this.  The touch up does not require as much volume to be injected because a part of what you had originally injected is still there.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon