I'm 5'6 and I weight about 195. Am I qualified for a bbl or would I have to loss some weight? (photos)

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

High BMI and Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)

There is no set BMI for surgery. Having said that, the higher your BMI, the higher your surgical risk. Your BMI is currently 31.5. This is categorized as obese in the medical literature. Obesity and surgery are not an ideal combination with the exception of bariatric surgery, and even this type of surgery doesn't come without risks.  As liposuction and BBL are elective procedures, in my opinion, it is best to optimize your health before proceeding. This would include safe, gradual weight loss to a BMI below 30.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I recommend that my patients have a BMI of 30 or less to have the best and safest results. Your BMI is around 31.5 so I would recommend getting it down to at least 30. I also recommend that my patients maintain their goal weight for at least 6 months prior to surgery because weight fluctuations can affect your results. It is important to remember to live a healthy, balanced lifestyle through diet and exercise, even after surgery for best results and to reduce your chance of health related issues. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon