Am I a good candidate for alarplasty only? Can alarplasty make my nose correct? Can it be made a triangle shape? (Photo)

Alarplasty only

often times alarplasty can affect the rest of your nose and flatten the tip. However, in your case (without seeing the rest of your face and how your nose balances with your face) you do seem to have a strong nasal tip. The key for your will be to go for a subtle change as I only see a minimal amount of flare. If you are ok with just a subtle change, alarplasty alone may not be a bad idea for you. You must understand that if you want more than a subtle change, a full rhinoplasty with work affecting other areas of your nose will need to be done. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for alarplasty only? Can alarplasty make my nose correct? Can it be made a triangle shape?

Thank you for your questions. Alarplasty can not correct the shape as it involves removal of a small wedge of skin  at the base of the nostrils to narrow them.

Am I a Good Candidate for Alarplasty Only

An alarplasty to decrease the flair of you nasal base would be beneficial but with these pictures I cannot determine if you should consider other changes. You want to achieve a balanced natural result.

Alar plasty procedure

An alar plasty procedure simply involves removal of a small wedge of skin  at the base of the nostrils to narrow them.

Alarplasty and tip rhinoplasty

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed. I don’t think you would be happy with the results from just an alarplasty but possibly an alarplasty and tip rhinoplasty combined would give you more pleasing results. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. An alarplasty is the technique that is commonly used for nostril reduction and this procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Nose procedure

I would suggest scheduling an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your specific concerns about the shape of your nose.  The surgeon would be able to review the procedures, costs and options of the surgery depending on the specific result you are hoping to achieve.  Often, a small cartilage graft from the nose or ear can be used to achieve a more triangular shape to the base of the nose.  This can be done through a small incision at the base of the nose or with incision inside the nose.  That would depend on many factors that your surgeon will discuss with you.  Some surgeons also have 3D imaging software that could be used to give you a visual idea of what outcomes to expect.  As I mentioned above, the more specific you are with what you don’t like, the better your outcomes will meet your expectations.  Good luck!

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon