Has early removal of my drains caused me to have this much fluids?

It's been 10 day since I had a tummy tuck and a lipo my doctor took out my drains after the 5th day of my surgery my 9th day examination he said I have fluid so he pulled over 4 syringes and said there is more and he will have to keep pulling the fluid. Should he have let the drain stayed in a bit longer because I have a phobia to needles and I pass out ever time so even if he could get more fluid out I and in shape to stand for him to pull enough fluid at one time.

Greetings

Thank you for your question. Seroma occurs when production of the body fluid is faster that resorption of the fluid. Initially after surgery, your body would make lots of fluid; the body cannot keep up with resorbing that fluid. It is better to ask your question this question during your follow up.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Seromas after tummy tucks

are common and I'm assuming your surgeon pulled your drains when his/her criteria were met as its ideal to get the drains out as soon as possible as there are risks to leaving them in too long.  Serial repeated aspirations are what is now needed and its presumed you have no sensation in the area that is being accessed so at least it should not hurt.  If you don't like the needles, you have to ask your surgeon about putting a drain back in but it may cost you more.

Curtis Wong, MD

Serum after tummy tuck

Hi, Kareeng
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing seroma.
I am assuming that your plastic surgeon removed the drains when you were not making much fluid.  
Drains are often placed during tummy tuck to prevent seroma formation.  Seroma occurs when production of the body fluid is faster that resorption of the fluid.  Initially after surgery, your body would make lots of fluid; the body cannot keep up with resorbing that fluid.
You may have seroma due to 1) early removal of the fluid,  and/or 2) over activity after the drain removal.
Unfortunately, you may require couple aspirations before your body stops making excessive fluid.
Please follow your plastic surgeon's post-op instruction - limit the activities and wear compression garment.
Good luck.

Dear kareeng,
I'm sorry you are dealing with a seroma, and just so you know these are not uncommon after tummy tuck surgery. Because they always occur after the drains are removed, there is no way of knowing the perfect timing, or if it would have even made a difference. We all have our criteria for drain removal, and its not all the same. Some doctors believe that leaving the drains too long may even promote seroma formation.
Draining a seroms percutaneously (with a needle) may need to be done several times, and luckily it is generally painless because the lower abdominal skin is numb after surgery. If this is too upsetting for you it may possible to replace a drain. This is a bigger deal and you may have to have a radiologist do this in the hospital, or based on the size and location of the seroma, your surgeon may be able to do it in the office. Yes, unfortunately needles will be involved. 
To quote one of my favorite patient's, "This plastic surgery stuff is not for wimps!". Having surgery is tough, and it just might get you over that needle phobia. That's not such a bad thing in the long run.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Drains after surgery

The drains after surgery are not a set science. Some people get them out in 5 days, but I have had patients keep them in for 3 weeks.  It all depends on your body and how much fluid it is producing.  If you have a phobia of needles, why don't you ask your doctor to send you to the hospital to have another drained placed.  This would take care of the fluid and eliminate all the trips to his office.  Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Fluid After Tummy Tucks

Hi,

Primarily when a surgeon removes the drains after a procedure, it is due to the lack of fluid being produced. A side effect from having a tummy tuck/abdominoplasty is developing a Seroma. Although it may be an annoyance to you due to your fear of needles, the fluid still needs to be drained.

There are techniques you can discuss with your surgeon to avoid passing out when you are in contact with needles.

It is imperative that you seek the advice of a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in tummy tuck / abdominoplasty.

I wish you the best.

Dr. Gabbay.

Joubin Gabbay, MD