How do I decide how much of my tissue to have removed for my reduction?

So, I have been approved for a breast reduction based on medical need and it will be fully covered by my health care. My surgeon told me I need to choose a % of tissue to be removed. I am currently in a G cup. I would like to be able to purchase bras from a regular bra shop rather than paying 100's of dollars for one. The surgeon told me he thinks that 30% should be a sufficient amount to have removed according to my body proportions but I am concerned that won't be enough! Help!!!

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  

I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “B or C cup” or "proportionate" etc. may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of goal photographs and computer imaging. 

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes

My advice to you is that rather than feeling obligated to select an actual percentage, discuss with your surgeon your approximate bra size goals, showing pictures of other patients whose proportioning you like and allow him/her to do the best job possible to achieve your goals.  As surgeons we are selecting during the procedure the proper balance between breast tissue volume and skin surface area to create an aesthetic looking breast that is no longer droopy that comes close to matching the patient's size goal.  As a result it becomes somewhat subjective but patients generally benefit from our experience and aesthetic judgment.  Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

I have never heard of a surgeon asking such a question. Perhaps you should consider seeing another consultant. Or simply show the surgeon photos of women with the breast size you prefer. Unless you have long and extensive experience doing the surgery you should not have to make the choice you were asked to make. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD