Do you think I could have a capsular contracture? (Photo)

I realize I have swelling on the left breast.my surgery was Oct 11th.its getting close to that month mark.my left breast is hard as a rock.my PS said swelling from the bleeding and suggest I don't do any massage to the bigger harder left breast..I'm starting to believe I have a problem.

Signs of Capsular Contracture

One of the most common problems is breast capsular #contracture or the development of thickening, and contracture of the capsule that exists around the breast implants. Severe capsule contracture probably occurs in less than 15% of augmentation patients. Every woman has a breast capsule around their implant and this is a normal phenomenon. The capsule itself could be as thin as Saran Wrap but may also become calcified and thickened. As it thickens and shrinks, the patient may develop a feeling a firmness of the breasts and in its worst situation, the breast may become painful and abnormal in appearance, achieving a very round, hard, and uneven appearance. There may be distortion and possible breakage and leakage of an older implant, but may also include a newer #implant. Nicotine users, such as smokers, have up to a 30x increased risk of #capsular contracture.

Saline implants may deflate spontaneously. When the patient has significant #symptoms, complete or partial leakage of their saline implant, or concerns regarding silicone leakage, it is recommended that the implant is removed and exchanged. Frequently, this is performed on both sides depending upon the age of the implant. Capsulotomy or opening of the capsule may be required or frequently capsulectomy, which is removal of the scarred capsule, is r#ecommended to ensure adequate pocket dimensions.

New implants may then be placed in the same existing position or may undergo a change of #placement frequently from submammary to subpectoral position and, on occasion, the other way around.

Tight breast in early postoperative period

The left breast appears to be more tense (hard) and elevated in comparison to the right breast.  It is more likely that there is fluid, either a hematoma (blood) or seroma (fluid other than blood) than the implant pocket being too small.  An immediate evaluation by your plastic surgeon is surely indicated to determine the best course of action.  This may include imaging of the breast and drainage of the likely fluid.  We know that the presence of fluid - especially a hematoma -  around the implant makes capsular contracture significantly more likely, so minimizing this with drainage may be in your best interest.

Bradley Remington, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Breast swelling post op.

Thank you for your question.  If you have this amount of swelling 1 month after you will likely have bleeding or fluid around your implant either of which will increase your risk of encapsulation.  I would recommend having an ultrasound scan done as soon as possible.  This will determine if there is blood or fluid which would need to be drained.  Good luck.

Bleeding

Thank you for the question and if you have swelling from bleeding, the hematoma should have been drained or you may/will develop capsular contracture

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Could be

Certainly, I would reserve judgement until most swelling has resolved.  You may have that problem in evolution, however, early capsular contracture usually would follow a postoperative hematoma.

Ethan Philpott, MD