Do you think I could have a capsular contracture? (Photo)

I realize I have swelling on the left breast.my surgery was Oct 11th.its getting close to that month mark.my left breast is hard as a rock.my PS said swelling from the bleeding and suggest I don't do any massage to the bigger harder left breast..I'm starting to believe I have a problem.

Tight breast in early postoperative period

The left breast appears to be more tense (hard) and elevated in comparison to the right breast.  It is more likely that there is fluid, either a hematoma (blood) or seroma (fluid other than blood) than the implant pocket being too small.  An immediate evaluation by your plastic surgeon is surely indicated to determine the best course of action.  This may include imaging of the breast and drainage of the likely fluid.  We know that the presence of fluid - especially a hematoma -  around the implant makes capsular contracture significantly more likely, so minimizing this with drainage may be in your best interest.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Breast swelling post op.

Thank you for your question.  If you have this amount of swelling 1 month after you will likely have bleeding or fluid around your implant either of which will increase your risk of encapsulation.  I would recommend having an ultrasound scan done as soon as possible.  This will determine if there is blood or fluid which would need to be drained.  Good luck.

Christopher J. Inglefield, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding

Thank you for the question and if you have swelling from bleeding, the hematoma should have been drained or you may/will develop capsular contracture

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD