Should I get a Breast reduction? (photos)

Hi, I am 19 years old and I'm 5'10 and weigh 220 pounds. I have had large breasts for a while and have considered this surgery since I was 17. Now that it is possible I am wondering wither or not I should get it done. My breast size is a 38 DDD. I do not find them attractive or comfortable at all. I have had back pain for a while now and I am really considering getting them reduced. I am just wondering what a plastic surgeons perspective is on this. Thanks

#BreastLift #BreastReduction - Should I get a Breast reduction?

Maybe. 

On the one hand, you have enlarged breast and many of the symptoms that go along with them.  From that standpoint, breast reduction is likely to help relieve some or all of your symptoms.

On the other, you may benefit first from losing some weight if otherwise appropriate, and having the surgery after that.

To help decide between these options, you should meet with several board-certified plastic surgeons to for a full and complete assessment, as well as your internist (concerning any potential weight loss).  Putting the two plans together will provide your best overall care.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Breast Reduction Candidate?

Thank you for your picture.  It appears that you may be a candidate for a reduction.  I would advise you get down to a goal weight for your height and then re-evaluate your breasts.

Breast Reduction Candidate

Breast reduction, also known as reduction mammoplasty,  is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman’s breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation.
Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
Large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced. 
From the above you are a reasonable candidate; however it is strongly suggested that you try to reduce weight to a more normal one which often affects your breast size first.
#breastreduction

Yes to Breast Reduction

Hi mclarke 1818,

You state many of the reasons that women look to have breast reductions. You find that  your breastare  not attractive, or comfortable. You complain of back pain which you attributed to some degree to the size of your breast. Breast reduction surgery is relatively safe in the hands of board certified plastic surgeons. Patients who've undergone reduction tend to be some of the happiest patients that I see.
It should consider consultation with a plastic surgeon to find out more about the procedure.
Good luck!

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction needed?

Thank you for sending your photo and inquiry. Yes, you are a candidate for a breast reduction, especially if you are experiencing back and neck pain. The breast reduction will help improve all the above pain you experience now. When you feel you are ready I suggest seeking a board certified plastic surgeon to go over all the details and suggestions with you. Wish you best of luck.  

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Given your height and age and weight you might be an ideal candidate for the Scarless reduction. Would hate to put that many scars on the breasts of someone your age. This should at least be able to get you down several cup sizes with an almost invisible scar using liposuction only. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a Breast reduction?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations to perform.  

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons. Timing of service should be individualized based on the specific patient's life circumstances and preferences.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Should i get breast reduction?

Thank you for including a photo with your question. It looks and it sounds as though you are experiencing the classic complications associated with larger breasts.  Most women with larger breasts also experience a host of medical issues related to the size of their breasts. These problems may include neck pain, back or shoulder pain, hygiene difficulty, and breast pain. Fortunately, when the excessive breast size causes functional problems, insurance will generally pay for breast reduction if more than 400 – 500 grams are removed from each breast. Of course this is dependent on your individual insurance company requirements. Pre-authorization by the insurance company is required prior to surgery, and the process takes approximately one month.

Breast reduction can accomplish several things in one procedure. The surgeon can reduce the size of the breasts, make them symmetrical (same size and shape) and complete a lift. By including a lift with the procedure, your surgeon can also assure correct nipple placement and appropriate areolar size. When you reduce the size of the breast tissue, you can eliminate some of the medical complications listed above, reduce sleeping difficulties, increase your likelihood of finding clothing that fits and improve self image. Ultimately the size you choose to reduce your breast to, is up to you! The best place to start is by making an appointment with a Board Certified plastic surgeon. They can make suggestions and guide you through the process.

#plastic surgery #breast reduction #breast lift