Botched Labiaplasty, revision? Clitoris too exposed? (photo)

I had a labiaplasty à couple of years ago. Could a revision be done to reconstruct the labia minora? Using clitoral hood flap? I also feel that my clitoris is now too exposed, too sensitive when it is touched during intercorse, can something be done to suture the skin on the top..? Will the reconstruction make this problem worse, cause technique is using skin around the clitoris?

A revision can be done but it requires a lot of skill and expertise.  It will also cost more than your primary labiaplasty.  If the cost is low for the revision, that's a red flag.  Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon with a great reputation and that specializes in labiaplasty procedures. 

Reconstruction of your vulva

can be done and you MUST see surgeons with experience with this.  This is not a situation where you want a neophyte practicing or learning on your.  I don't normally condone this but your surgeon shouldn't be doing this operation if yours is a 'typical' result and you should be doing everything possible through social media to stop this.

Curtis Wong, MD

Revision Labiaplasty

Revision surgery for labiaplasty may be requested to remove more tissue: make the labia more even; correct over-reductions; treat adhesions between parts of the vulva; improve the appearance of color, texture, and scars after previous treatment. Revisions are generally possible but, as with other surgeries, revision becomes more difficult than the initial first operation. These should be performed by a surgeon experienced with Cosmetic Female Genital Surgery. You should be fine since you are over 6 months past the initial surgery to resolve. Tissues need to heal and soften before they are re-operated upon.

Revision for Botched Labiaplasty

From your photos it appears that reconstructive surgery would best be done by a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in labiaplasty revision. Reconstruction would likely involve moving tissue. A thorough knowledge of blood supply and flap design will be essential, so it's important to choose a well-trained plastic surgeon with experience with female genital plastic surgery. All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Botched Labiaplasty, revision? Clitoris too exposed?

Thank you for your question and photos. This points out the importance of seeking out a well qualified plastic surgeon or gynecologist experienced in these procedures. Unfortunately, your surgeon did not respect anatomical landmarks, over resected the labia minora on both sides. The right side is worse, since part of the labia majora was removed as well. You do have some soft tissue over the clitoris and a V-Y advancement flap can cover it more and alleviate your discomfort from over exposure. The left side can be reconstructed from the clitoral hood and lower labia remnants, but the right side will be more difficult to fully reconstruct. See a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist experienced in reconstructing this delicate area, since you have only one shot at this. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your issues after your labiaplasty.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination, based on your pictures alone a reconstruction of your labia minora would be difficult as it appears that your original surgery removed much of the clitoral hood tissue on the same side as the over-aggressive labial resection.  As far as your clitoris exposure, however, additional coverage can be obtained with the excess tissues around the clitoris to achieve better soft tissue coverage, avoiding the sensitivity.  Hope this helps.