Can I get bigger than 230cc implants? (Photos)

I was told that I could medically only get 230cc implants.I wanted to get a full c and was told I won't get anywhere near that.my measurements are band chest circumference is 31 plus the 5 so 36 inches ,my breast width diameter is 12 cm.when I asked why such a small implant he said medically it's not possible.he showed me a 234 cc implant and said the one I would use for you is even smaller.and left it at that and I left in tears.please I need some advice.

Seek a second opinion for your breast augmentation.

Plastic surgeons consider several aspects when making recommendations about breast augmentation. Some of those things are the amount of natural breast tissue you have, the diameters of your breast base, the size of your chest, the elasticity of your skin, the type of implant and placement. If your plastic surgeon can’t adequately explain his recommendation, he may not be the right surgeon for your procedure. You may want to seek a second opinion from a plastic surgeon who specializes in breast augmentation and communicates well with you.

Implant size

Based upon the dimensions you mentioned(assuming they are correct), you can have a larger implant than 234cc and you are also correct that having a 230cc implant will not get you to a full C(without violating your BW you can easily go into the 325-350cc range depending on implant brand). You should see additional properly trained plastic surgeons in your area for their opinion.

Implant Size/Style

It seems from your photos and the measurements you provided that you can go larger than a 230cc implant; however, your PS may not be comfortable using a larger implant in your case. It wouldn't hurt to seek another opinion before proceeding with your surgery. Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

There are many factors that go into implant sizing but the simple answer is yes, you can definitely go larger than that size. However, if that surgeon says you cannot then that is probably the largest he or she feels comfortable using so if you aren't absolutely set on them as your surgeon I would advise you to go to some other consultations. Best of luckJosh Olson MD

Breast Augmentation

I think it is highly likely you can go with the larger breast implant, especially if your true breast width diameter is 12 cm. I think you just need to find a different doctor.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Implant sizing

Seek several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons that specialize in breast augmentation surgery. There should be no problem going slightly higher under the muscle. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Best breast implants for me?

Given your ongoing concerns, and having read both of your posts,  I would suggest that you seek additional in-person consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons.  Once you have met with a few experienced and reputable board-certified plastic surgeons you will  be more likely to feel comfortable with your decision-making in regards to breast implant sizes etc.
Again , the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.  begin, it may  the car to consultations before you meet a plastic surgeon who you feel  is most capable of achieving an outcome that you will be pleased with.

2.  Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "full C cup” to "too big on me" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Can I get bigger than 230cc implants?

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 C and a 38 C are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you get another in person opinion from a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) ) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. 

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon