Is it a big problem if I smoke before and after the surgery? (photos)

Its really hard for a smoker to stop dmoking a month or two before the srugery i heard about the oxigene chamber what is that

Is it a big problem if I smoke before and after the surgery

If you are having liposuction only it is not a huge risk, but if you are getting a tummy tuck I would not perform it unless you stop smoking for one month before and after. The hyperbaric chamber will not reverse the continued smoking. The patches and gum have nicotine, which is the offending problem, so you need to be off them also

Smoking: Information

Dear Ms. Dream bigger,

Thank you for your questions.

Smoking has shown by many scientific studies to:
1) deprive your heart, tissue and skin of oxygen
2) increased chance of forming blood clots in your veins
3) greater difficulty to breathe during and after general anesthesia
4) increase your risk of infection
5) impaired wound healing ie loss of skin or dead tissue
6) poor scar formation and appearance
7) alteration in effectiveness of some medications
8) postoperative smoking is worse than preoperative smoking.

I strongly suggest stop 4 weeks before (minimal of 2 weeks) an 8 weeks (minimal of 4) after your planned surgery(Hopefully forever!).

I it's not just the smoke but in addition the contents within tobacco that are similar that are found in e-cigarettes.

It's only fair to be truthful and honest about your smoking habits before surgery with your
Plastic Surgeon. It is your body and you are making a significant financial investment as well as desiring the best result that can be achieved.

I trust your Plastic Surgeons is experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition and ideally he/she is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600ppp

Please stop smoking!

Thank you for your question.  Smoking or exposure to smoke will decrease the ability of the skin to heal properly resulting in unsightly scarring and higher risk for infection and more importantly, skin loss in the central abdomen, sometimes requiring a skin graft. I suggest you visit with your primary care doctor- perhaps they can prescribe you Chantix.  This medication has helped some of my patients kick the habit!

Fred Hackney, MD

No smoking!!

If you can not stop smoking prior to your surgery and during your post op healing then DO NOT have the surgery. It's really not worth the risk of complications. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

You have to quit smoking

100% you have to quit smoking- especially with BBL.  You are having liposuction and then asking these little fat grafts to survive in a total new environment after you've stolen them from their little home and blood supply (lifeline)- you need your blood to be the best oxygen delivery system that it possibly can!!  Quit smoking entirely for at least 4 weeks (some would say 2 weeks) and don't smoke for at least 2 months after.  Hope this helps.

-JGH

Is it a big problem if I smoke before and after the surgery?

It's imperative that you stop smoking and eliminate all sources of nicotine before your tummy tuck procedure.  The reason why is that nicotine is a chemical that constricts your small blood vessels. If nicotine is in your system (regardless of the source), there is a higher risk for wound complications and tissue breakdown, especially in flap-type procedures like a tummy tuck. When a “flap” of tissue is raised, that segment of tissue has a restricted blood supply by nature of the procedural dissection. If nicotine is in your system at the same time, its vessel constricting action further diminishes the blood supply to the “flap”, potentially to a point where the flap tissue may die off.  Smoking cessation can be challenging but should be attempted prior to a procedure like a tummy tuck.  The longer you can stop smoking, the lower the risks you'll have with the surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Smoking and TT

Thanks for your question. You simply cannot be smoking even one cigarette and be a candidate for tummy tuck. You will be at a major risk of your incision not healing. You must tell your surgeon about it. Put off surgery for at least 3 months. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

No nicotine for tummy tuck

You must avoid all nicotine containing products for at least several weeks after surgery in order to minimize the risk of serious complications. Quitting smoking a few weeks before surgery avoids the challenge of trying to quit while you are recovering from surgery which will be even more difficult. 

Richard Baxter, MD

Definitely a good idea to quit

Thanks for your question.  I know that smoking is incredibly addictive and hard to quit, but it is definitely a good idea for you to quit smoking for 6 weeks before surgery (and continue to not smoke for 6 weeks after surgery).  Smoking causes damage and constriction of the tiny blood vessels that feed our skin and without these working properly, your incisions won't be able to heal properly and there is a much higher risk of open wounds.  In addition to this, your risk for blood clots in your legs that travel to your lungs is higher and this can be a life threatening event.  A tummy tuck is a very safe procedure but in order to get the best results, I highly recommend quitting smoking.

Smoking and plastic surgery

It is a very bad idea to undergo elective plastic surgery while actively smoking.  It puts you at much higher risk for complications such as wound infection and poor healing.  All reputable and reasonable plastic surgeons avoid elective plastic surgery procedures in smokers.  There are of course some exceptions.  If you truly desire a good result while minimizing the chances of bad complications, you need to quit smoking around the time of your surgery.  Best wishes.

Pedro Vieira, MD
East Brunswick General Surgeon