5'2" tall, 124lbs, 34DD; Is it reasonable to want a reduction?

I have been approved for reduction and am currently awaiting a surgery date. I am so excited but feeling apprehensive because whenever anyone finds out what I am doing they seem surprised. No one seems to think I need it except me. And the plastic surgeon who said " you are a small framed girl and those are big breasts, I wouldn't want to carry them around " Am I crazy for wanting a reduction ?? Is. 34 DD not that big? I've had neck and shoulder discomfort for years.

Based on the discomfort you are expressing in your neck and shoulders, your height, and weight it seems as though you are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery. You have to do what is in the best interest for your health, especially if the pain is effecting your daily life. I highly recommend that the doctor you choose to do your surgery be a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Thank you for your question and good luck with your upcoming surgery! I hope it is helpful in relieving your pain.

Breast reduction: All that matters is what you want

All that matters is what you need and desire. It seems like your surgeon and insurance company are also in agreement with your thoughts and desires. I have had patients tell me that they started to have some relief of their shoulder and neck pain as early as the next morning after breast reduction surgery. Tell any naysayers to mind their own business and/or just be happy and supportive of your decision, which seems like a good one. Hope this answer is reassuring. Good luck to you. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

It sounds like you would be a very good candidate for this surgery.  See a board certified plastic surgeon to better determine if you are a candidate.

Good luck, Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

No, you are not crazy.  It is your body and your breasts.  I am amazed at how many people want to weigh in about breast size.  You will feel better and look more proportional. Good luck, Jane

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point. “Official” recommendations of course would necessitate in-person consultation.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. When a breast reduction is performed, a breast “lift” occurs as part of the procedure. Patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise. 

Ultimately, whether or not to undergo breast reduction surgery will be a very personal decision best made after carefully weighing the pros/cons associated with the procedure.  The pros are listed above. Some of the risks/potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery include:  infection, bleeding, seroma, hematoma, wound healing problems, abnormal scarring ( hypertrophic or keloid),  loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, breast asymmetry, necrosis of tissue or skin,  unsatisfactory cosmetic results, unpredictability of exact cup size postoperatively,  recurrence of the breast hypertrophy, and the potential for further surgery.

Once you have selected your plastic surgeon, communicate your goals carefully. I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “C cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of goal photographs. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.