20cm Cavity, Seroma, Syringe drain, packing? What's next? Had fever after first packing. Am I on the right treatment?

I'm a 34 old Male who had a full tummy tuck 6 weeks ago. My PS removed my drain after 3 weeks and at that time I was draining around 70-100cc per day. The following weeks when I mentioned there is a fluid build up in my pubic area below my incision line, he tried to drain it with syringe. After 3-4 weeks of doing that he suggested we may need to make a small opening on my incision line and to start packing my wound to help my situation. it seems my seroma is around 15-20cm across my tummy.

Possible Complications Following Gynecomastia Surgery

With any #surgical procedure, there are some #risks which your doctor may have discussed with you during your consultation. Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes.  If you have any concerns about #healing, it is always best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. I suggest that you call your surgeon immediately to discuss your situation. 

Seroma

Thank you for the question and I might have treated you with another drain rather then packing but an examination is needed.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

You had a complication which is relatively uncommon but does occasionally occur.  You surgeon have been managing the problem appropriately. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes a while before the seroma resolves. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your seroma issues.  It sounds as if your surgeon has been managing this issue appropriately with repeated seroma aspirations in the office.   This does occasionally fail, requiring either placement of a new drain, or opening the incision to allow drainage of the fluid while packing the wound until your body seals itself from the inside out.  If there was concern of a potential infected seroma, drainage of this kind would be best.  Hope that this helps. 

Tummy tuck with severe seroma

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• I am so sorry you are having this complication.
  • I assume you have had an  ultrasound showing the extent of the seroma.
  • At times, a seroma does not heal because of a low grade infection.
  • Discouraging as it is, opening the area up and packing it sounds like a reasonable next step.
  • This should treat infection - especially if the initial packing is with a bactericidal product such as Dakin's.
  • Discuss these steps with your surgeon to understand what her/his thinking is and if not, why not.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD