16 days TT post-op. Draining less than 30mls per day has come half out, should I wait to see PS?

I had a TT 16 days ago. I have 2 drains in. One of them, draining 25-30mls a day, has fallen half out tonight. I cannot reach my PS, but I will be seeing him tomorrow. I went to see a doctor close by. He put gauze at the wound site, told me to be careful till I see my PS in 24 hours. My only concern is with infection having it half in and half out. My sister is a nurse, familiar with drains and felt it should have been pulled out. Should I see another DR. Tonight?

Managing the drains after tummy tuck

Thank you for the question! It is rather difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination. You did the right thing by immediately notifying your surgeon. Even though many patients do not experience complications after a drain falls out, it is imperative to schedule an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon in order to assess your needs and obtain reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Follow up care

Every surgeon has different protocols for drains. You should see your doctor and discuss your concerns. I would not encourage going to a different doctor, continuity of care is very important. Best wishes!

Tummy tuck - do I need to see another doctor

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck drains.
  • Although I agree with your sister that the drain was best pulled out -
  • You do not need to see another doctor tonight.
  • You are more than 2 weeks after surgery and the risk of infection is low -
  • Let your surgeon remove the drains in the morning.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS