Can Liposculpture Make Cellulite Worse?

Can Liposculpture Make Cellulite Worse?

-- Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Liposuction and cellulite

liposuction is not treatment for cellulite and it could make it worse.  Therefore liposuction or lipo laser is not treatment for cellulite

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Yes, it can

Yes, it is true that cellulite can become more visible with liposuction if you already have cellulite. 

Liposuction May or May not Make Cellulite Worse

Preoperative obesity, cellulite, stretch marks, a history of constant weight change, or loose, sagging, inelastic skin, are problems which would tend toward poor results during a liposuction. In fact, these problems may be worsened by liposuction and may be best addressed by other procedures such as a leg or body lift (e.g. tummy tuck) for better results and outcomes. Basically, liposuction does not cause cellulite if performed correctly (in the right tissue plane and not removing excessive or uneven amounts), but the procedure may make existing cellulite more obvious or prominent.This is why the experience and talents of your plastic surgeon are so important.

Liposuction can make cellulite look worse.

Most of the time, if too aggressive liposuction can make cellulite actually look worse. I would recommend you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in liposuction to be examined and be sure you are a candidate and will have the results you desire. Best of luck.

Jaime Perez, MD

Liposuction and Cellulite?

“Cellulite"  refers to irregularities that occurred on the surface of the skin. Liposuction will not cure cellulite; If well performed on a patient with elasticity and should not pick it worse either. Liposuction surgery is designed to   remove fat and improve contours.  Patients with severe cases of cellulite  will not benefit from liposuction surgery and may require skin excision (for example  tummy tuck or thigh lifting)  to achieve the desired results.

I tell all my patients that liposuction is not a “perfect science” and complications can occur even in the best of hands.

Liposuclupture and Cellulite

Liposculpture, (liposuction) is not a treatment for cellulite.  If done too aggressively in the areas with cellulite, it can make things worse.  There are many variables; degree of cellulite, skin elasticity, etc.  Hard to comment on your particular case without photos or exam.  Best to see at least three surgeons.  Look at his before/after photos.  Ask lots of questions.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Cellulite after liposuction

Liposuction does not treat cellulite in my opinion.  In certain case can make it worse, but usually it remains unchanged.  Without seeing a picture it is hard to know which you would be.

Liposculpture & liposuction and cellulite

I have observed that when liposculpture and liposuction are performed in individuals with cellulite. most often it remains unchanged. In other less occasions I have seen it become either better or worse. I know this sounds confusing but don't have liposuction to treat cellulite. 

Liposculpture and Cellulite

There is no question that liposuction can make cellulite worse. That said, laser assisted liposculpture as with smartlipo liposculpture may improve cellulite and I have found that following the procedure with multiple sessions of fractional laser resurfacing adds to the improvement in results.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist