I'm looking to fix my acne scars? I'm a 41 year old male dealing with aging skin and recent weight loss (Photos)

I'm not very concerned about cost, my biggest concern is results and downtime. Around 15 years ago, I had laser resurfacing surgery. I saw a surgeon this year, who recommended filler to return the volume to my cheeks. The filler did not really help to smooth out the scars, but did lift up my cheeks for a little while. I'd like a more permanent fix if possible.

Multiple treatments for acne scars- see video

For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery. If I were to pick ONE treatment that will give you the best results with minimal downtime in ONE session, that would be fillers to displace your scars, and replenish your volume loss.  The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars. All the best, Dr Davin Lim Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Acne scarring requires a combination approach. Surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars. Fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars. Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone. Lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Sublative or Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist for further assessment. Best, Dr. Emer

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

I'm looking to fix my acne scars? I'm a 41 year old male dealing with aging skin and recent weight loss

Thanks for your query. Dermabrassion or deep peels like TCA cross do help in flattening acne scars but they come with a downtime of 7-10 days. 

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon