Is my vaginal opening normal? I feel like it is abnormal (Photo)

There is never any pain or itching. I noticed one side had more skin and then I looked at it more and if I pull on one side there is a small hole. I'm not sure if it is just a fold? I have had sex, but not for 3 or so years. I never looked closely at my vagina until recently

Normal Vaginal Anatomy

The vagina can age just like any organ in the body. As the vagina it tends to sag and hang a little it, especially if a woman has had vaginal deliveries that can exacerbate the symptoms. Many women complain about their vaginas feeling "loose" and not feeling as much friction and intimacy with their partner during intercourse as she desires.

The most aggressive way to address these symptoms is with a surgery called Vaginal Rejuvenation. Vaginal rejuvenation or vaginoplasty is a one hour surgical procedure that tightens the vaginal canal and the opening of the vagina. Patients typically choose to be as tight as they were after they lost their virginity but before they had their first vaginal delivery. Specifically, this is approximately 2-3 centimeters or 2 fingers on exam. The most important thing when choosing a cosmetic vaginal surgeon who is board certified and has extensive experience. This surgeon should be able to show you endless before and after photos and you should be able to discuss the surgery with his or her prior patients.

The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with your surgeon and your ultimate decision. 

It's difficult to diagnose your symptoms without hearing more information from you or to be able to tell if the anatomy is normal without an in person exam. In order to get a definitive diagnosis you should visit with a gynecologist or cosmetic vaginal surgeon to explore your options. 

Your vagina looks normal

The vaginal opening displays irregular tabs of skin around the entire 360 degrees. These are called hymenal tags and are the remnants of your hymen after it broke.

Normal vagina?

The photos you posted show nothing abnormal, but, of course, and in person exam is the best way to go.  If you are concerned, then just visit your primary care or OBGYN doctor, but from what we can see on those photos you look normal. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Does my vagina look normal?

The appearance of external genitalia and the vaginal opening will vary just like peoples ears or noses vary in appearance.  You look perfectly normal and don't require surgery according to the photo.  An examination by a doctor with a mirror may be helpful as you can show the doctor what is bothering you. 

Normal vagina anatomy

There is quite a variation in the normal acceptable anatomy of the vagina.  For a more conclusive answer, I recommend consulting with your gynecologist for an in person physical exam. Glad to help.  

Ryan Stanton, MD