possible prolapse (photo)

Ever since I had my daughter I feel like things just don't look the same. Can you tell me if you think I have a vaginal prolapse?

This is when the bladder drops into the vaginal canal. There really is only a surgical option to fix this, which does require anesthesia. Best to go to a gyn who specializes in this type of surgery.

Hi and thank you for your question.   From the picture it is apparant that you have at the least a prolapse of your bladder/anterior vaginal wall.  This may results in urinary symptoms such as urinary incontinence (leak), incomplete voiding,  more frequent UTI, etc.  If you have vaginal rejuvenation this would need to be addressed concurrantly.  I hope this helps!

Scott GulinsonMD
Obgyn and Cosmetic Vulvovaginal Surgeon
Glendale, AZ

Do I have prolapse?

Based upon the photo you have prolapse of your anterior vagina or bladder.  This is called a cystocele.  A physical exam will be needed to see if you have prolapse of other organs such as your uterus or intestine or rectum.  

Thank you for your time. Based on the photos, it appears you have, if not one, but both a bladder prolapse (Cystourethrocele) and rectal prolapse (Rectocele). Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation® (LVR®) is a 1-hour outpatient surgical procedure that restores vaginal muscle tone, strength, and control. It will also effectively decrease the internal and external vaginal diameters as well as build up the perineal body. The goal is to restore you to a point where you are post virginal and pre-childbearing.

You have pelvic organ prolapse

You have an obvious dropping of the bladder (cystocele) and gaping of the vaginal introitus. If they bother you, schedule an appointment with a gynecologist or urogynecologist. These issues need to be addressed first if you are interested in a vaginoplasty.

Vaginal prolapse

You photo does indeed suggest some type of vaginal prolapse, most likely a significant cystocele where the bladder descends down. However, a good physical exam is needed to determine exactly the problem. See your gynecologist for this. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Yes, your front (bladder) and back (rectal) sides of the vagina have dropped and produced a cystocele and rectocele. these can be looked up on internet. This is not life threatening, but can be repaired surgically if causing symptoms. This is not an unusual outcome from childbirth. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but we are our own worst critics. How do the muscles function?

Thank you for the photo.  However, it is difficult to tell you whether or not you have prolapse.  There is also information missing from your history.  How long ago did you deliver, as you having as problems with pain with intercourse, etc.  It would be best if you consulted with you gynecologist first.

Dear Mikalyn:

Perhaps it is just me but I do NOT see a photo.   Can you try to upload a photo.  I will tell you if you don't feel things look the same it is possible that you have vaginal prolapse or you have damaged perineal muscle.  The damage perineal muscle will make your vaginal opening look larger and allow you to see inside of the vagina.

John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai